Operations / Administration Data & Operations Coordinator
Position Title: Data & Operations Coordinator
Hours: Full-time with schedule flexibility; includes occasional evening or weekend hours
Location: Detroit, Michigan; remote work until September 2021 due to COVID precautions
Salary Range: $40,000-$45,000 depending on experience, with benefits and 401(k)
Reports to: Executive Director, 313Reads
313Reads is a Detroit coalition committed to working side by side in collective impact with citywide, statewide, and national partners toward early literacy access, equity, and justice to support grade level reading.
- We operate from the understanding that Detroit children, families, community members, and community organizations are brilliant and can do anything when we have access to high quality opportunities, resources, and support.
The unacceptable literacy inequities that impact our children are the product of our current systems. Part of our approach is recognizing the roles we play in these systems and using our positionality to change them to better support our incredible communities and young people. Our collective impact network is committed to addressing systemic inequities through the levers of: Evidence-Based Early Language and Literacy Practices; Summer and Out-of-School Time Learning; Early Childhood Enrollment and Attendance; Whole Child Health; Data for Impact and Equity; and Literacy Policy Advocacy.
Learn more about us at www.313reads.org.
Our mission is to mobilize alongside our community to address systemic barriers and ensure literacy equity so that all children in Detroit are reading at grade level by third grade.
Our Core Values
- Equity and justice
- Creating spaces that foster open dialogue among partners
- Democratic and transparent decision making
- Amplifying the work of our partners
High quality data to inform collective impact is central to the work of 313Reads. The Data and Operations Manager is responsible for developing and leading strategy to mobilize and coordinate shared early literacy assessments, data, and data sharing systems across coalition partners. The Manager will coordinate the work of the Global Evaluation Team, which includes university evaluators and cross-sector partners at the systems level. Relationships are at the foundation of collective impact work and this role requires successfully building and sustaining relationships with coalition partners in Detroit and at state and national levels. The Data and Operations Manager also leads internal operations for the 313Reads backbone, including coordinating with the coalition’s fiduciary on budget, finance, and human resources. The Manager collaborates with the 313Reads backbone team on grant writing and reporting, annual reports, and other communications for stakeholders.
- Develop and lead strategy for mobilization and implementation of shared literacy assessments across partners, including: recruit test administrators; work with co-backbone team to hire and onboard test administrators; secure, distribute, and collect testing materials; maintain assessment data platform; provide related technical support to program partners
- Build strong, collaborative relationships with community, community-serving organizations, network partners, funders, and stakeholders
- Coordinate Global Evaluation Team meetings, deliverables, and communications across stakeholders, including university evaluation teams
- Lead backbone team in recruiting community members as administrators for shared literacy assessments
- Coordinate professional learning for network partners with focus on early literacy assessment, data literacy, and use of data for continuous improvement
- Contribute to collaborative team writing and reporting for grants, evaluations, reports, etc.
- Manage interns/VISTAs/etc. supporting work as needed
- Collaborate with fiduciary to review 313Reads’ operational and grant budgets and related operational tracking and reporting
- Solicit bids from vendors and consultants as needed for projects and trainings; coordinate contracts for project-based temporary employees, consultants, and vendors, in collaboration with fiduciary
- Coordinate team calendars and scheduling with external stakeholders as needed
- Order materials and refreshments for meetings, Learning Communities, and workshops
- Takes detailed minutes during Steering Committee and Table meetings for which the Data and Operations Manager does not serve as facilitator
Required Competencies, Related Skills, and Qualifications
The successful candidate must believe in and enact the core values of 313Reads, and be driven by the coalition’s mission and vision.
- Shares the organization’s strong commitment to supporting diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice through community assets-based lenses
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Extensive program/project management skills
- Experience gathering and managing data to support formal evaluation and continuous improvement
- Experience self-directing to successfully coordinate multiple projects across stakeholders to meet timelines for high-quality deliverables
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; comfort with collaborative writing and writing to tight deadlines
- Strong digital literacy skills, including creating and coordinating spreadsheets as tools for data collection and collaboration among multiple stakeholders
- Comfortable speaking in front of small groups and facilitating professional dialogue
- Resourcefulness, creativity, and strong problem-solving skills
- Shares the organization’s strong commitment to professional self-reflection and growth mindset
- Comfortable working flexibly in a highly collaborative team environment
- Knowledge of landscape of out-of-school and community-based education programming in Detroit
- Knowledge and experience with standardized assessment and/or evaluation preferred, but not required
- Experience leading a team in use of digital project management platform
- Experience collaborating on grant writing
- Experience working with an advisory board
- Experience supporting strategy for collective impact
- This position is an opportunity to collaborate with different personalities and individuals of diverse racial, ethnic, linguistic, religious, socio-economic, and cultural backgrounds through assets and equity lenses.
- Requires extensive multitasking and simultaneously managing multiple projects with different deadlines
- Requires extensive use of Google Drive, digital video conferencing, and cloud-based project management applications
- Sitting or standing for long periods of time at computer
- Local travel required; reliable transportation needed
- May require occasional evening and weekend work
- Requires public speaking and facilitating group meetings with internal and external stakeholders, including via video conferencing
- Requires access to reliable high-speed Internet and cell phone for remote work.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work for this position. It should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all required duties, responsibilities and skills. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities in performing the essential functions of the job.