School Network Staff Database Manager
About the Database Manager Role: The Database Manager supports data and reporting needs related to rostering, student achievement outcomes, talent, and logistics. In this position you will write queries for extraction and transformation, design and maintain databases, document standard operating procedures, and assist the Senior Director of Data and Technology in writing reports using Excel and Business Intelligence. This role requires excellent communication skills, meticulous attention to detail, a commitment to accuracy, ability to multitask, and being able to work and build relationships cross functionally. The Database Manager is a full-time, exempt administrative role that reports to the Senior Director of Data & Technology.
About KIPP: Together with families and communities, KIPP creates joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose—college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world. KIPP is a national network of tuition-free, public charter schools open to all students. There are 255 college-preparatory KIPP schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia, serving more than 100,000 students. Nationally, KIPP students are graduating four-year colleges at three times the national average for low-income students.
Who we are: KIPP Colorado Public Schools is a network of six free college-preparatory public charter schools open to all students. Our 350-person staff educates 2,600 students from ECE to 12th grade. At KIPP Colorado, we partner with our KIPPsters, educators, families and communities to ensure that we are all united around the goal of a choice-filled future for our KIPPsters. Our KIPP Forward Team supports our 1,000+ high school Alumni as they create their own paths. Our core values of excellence, belonging, belief, advocacy and courage are central to who we are and how we operate at all levels of our organization.
What we do: We believe in the unique gifts and brilliance of every student. We believe in setting a high bar for joy and academic excellence to ensure the infinite possibilities our students have before them become a reality. We aspire to create and reinforce a culture of achievement, belonging and support. We know that every student is different and we personalize learning based on a student’s needs, skills, and interests.
Role Responsibilities and More About How You’ll Spend Your Time in this Role
This position will support the Senior Director of Data and Technology with the following:
- Diagnostic analytics: Evaluate why data related issues occurred by analyzing various data sets, identifying patterns, and developing and maintaining partnerships with key stakeholders.
- Descriptive analytics: Analyze data from student information, assessment, rostering, and internal support systems to evaluate and describe trends and similar data.
- Preparing reports for organizational leadership to use in a business setting.
- Maintains confidentiality of student and employee information
- Works independently and within a team on special non-recurring and ongoing projects
- Displays excellent communication skills including presentation, persuasion, and negotiation skills required in working with guests, vendors, and coworkers and including the ability to communicate effectively and remain calm and courteous under pressure.
- Conducts oneself appropriately and professionally
- As needed, assist with duties and tasks outside of regular job responsibilities
- Believe deeply in the mission, values, and Race, Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity (RIDE) commitments of KIPP Colorado Schools and that all children can and will learn.
- Providing an active presence, strategic supervision, and intentional monitoring to ensure student safety and engagement in rigorous learning (regardless of my role and its proximity to students)
- Take ownership for the development of your craft (meet 1x/1-2 weeks with a manager, implement feedback, engage in active practice, etc.)
- Meet professional obligations including and not limited to meeting deadlines and honoring schedules.
- Collaborate with colleagues and seek feedback in the spirit of continuous improvement.
- Reflect on professional practices to meet individual professional development goals.
- Assume personal responsibility for student achievement.
- Actively participate in professional development, grade level, and department meetings.
- Actively engage in all school-wide professional development.
- Serve as a positive, contributing member of a team, collaborating with colleagues to tackle common challenges and implement region-wide initiatives.
- Share candid, solutions-oriented feedback with peers and leadership on a regular basis.
- Maintain strong attendance each day and be on time to all responsibilities
- Assist with both student and staff recruitment.
- Other duties as assigned
Manager Role Level Specifics, Scope of Work, and Level of Responsibility For more about how you’ll lead at the Manager level, please visit the KIPP Colorado Role Levels Matrix .
About Your Skills and Qualifications at the Manager Level:
- Bachelor of Science degree in a computer discipline or relevant certifications with at least 3 years of full-time professional experience in Data Science, Engineering, or Analytics roles.
- In lieu of this educational and professional experience requirement, an advanced degree or additional work experience will be considered.
- Experience as a standalone Database Architect. Experience in independently planning and managing work related to database administration and design. (required)
- Demonstrated knowledge of cloud data infrastructure (such as: Snowflake, AWS, Azure) (required)
- Expertise with data analysis tools, especially Excel with knowledge of Power Pivot and Query. (required)
- Data collection and Extraction, Transformation, and Load processes using a variety of tools (Such as: R, python, PowerQuery) (required)
- Knowledge of SQL including queries and administration GUIs. (required)
- Business Intelligence such as Tableau or PowerBI (preferred)
- A full understanding and Commitment to an Exceptional Student Experience (more about that HERE) (required)
- Ability to collaborate with other employees, including administrators and educators to determine areas of improvement regarding data systems.
- Detail-Oriented including a strong attention to nuances in data and excellent presentation skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to quickly learn complex concepts
- Ability to manage data and communication through various platforms.
- Ability to manage the ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in an entrepreneurial environment
- Strong work ethic coupled with an enthusiastic and passionate approach to one’s work
- Multi-faceted, multi-skilled, resourceful and willing to do whatever it takes to help our schools reach a level of academic excellence
- Openness to feedback and professional direction
- Articulate, professional demeanor with strong self-confidence and initiative.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, with the creativity and versatility to work productively in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, high-energy environment with a proven ability to meet and complete multiple deadlines and tasks
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to develop productive working relationships with stakeholders across functional and organizational lines
- Passionate commitment to KIPP Colorado mission and to high standards of excellence
Compensation and Benefits:
Staff retention and satisfaction is imperative for KIPP Colorado. We seek to provide competitive compensation and benefits including the following:
- Competitive Market Salary: Starting salary for this role begins at $72,000
- Please submit a comprehensive resume to assure all your experience is accounted for! (Tip: We don’t care if your resume is more than one page, we are eager to see and compensate you for all of your experience and accomplishments.)
- Excellent Healthcare Plan: 100% of employee-only monthly premium paid by KIPP Colorado and options for family enrollment and coverage, through United Healthcare.
- Time Off !!!: More than 6 weeks of annual vacation and Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Based on hire date, employees are eligible for up to 8 days of Paid Time Off (PTO)
- All employees receive summer break through an Org closure, based on work location and position
- Access to Parental and medical leave: Includes 6 weeks paid and 6 weeks unpaid for a total of 12 weeks (after your first year).
- Career Trajectory: Access to opportunity to to move up, across schools, and grow your career and weekly coaching session to refine your craft.
- Mental Health Care: Immediate and ongoing access to mental health support through our Employee Assistance Program.
- Technology & Access: Equipment provided: laptop & phone
- Retirement Planning: Participation in the Colorado PERA retirement program, including a PERA 401k option.
- Move to Join Us: Relocation reimbursement (when applicable)
- Additional Pay: Most school offer various stipend opportunities
- All the Insurance Options:
- Wellness reimbursement
- Voluntary employee, spousal, and child life insurance
- Voluntary long term disability insurance
- Voluntary short term disability insurance
- Optional Basic Life and AD&D Insurance
- All the Info: For more information, you can view our benefits FAQ here .
KIPP Colorado Schools is dedicated to equal employment opportunities and fair labor practices. KIPP Colorado Schools, KIPP Denver Collegiate High School, KIPP Northeast Denver Middle School, KIPP Northeast Elementary, KIPP Northeast Denver Leadership Academy, KIPP Sunshine Peak Academy and KIPP Sunshine Peak Elementary provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on job-related qualifications, and the ability to perform a job without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religious creed, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, legally protected medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or on any other basis made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. It is our policy to maintain a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment or bias based upon these grounds.