Operations Development Officer
ExpandED Schools is a national nonprofit dedicated to closing the learning gap by increasing access to enriched education experiences. In 1998, we were founded as The After-School Corporation. In our first decade, we created the nation’s first citywide system of K-12 after-school programs and leveraged more than four dollars in private and public spending for every dollar of our founding grant. Today, we continue to reimagine learning time – in school, after school and during the summer – seeking to ensure that all kids have opportunities to discover their talents and develop their full potential. We develop scalable and sustainable models that provide more learning time.
• EXPAND the school day: We add more time each day to help close the learning gap by up to 450 hours each school year.
• ENGAGE the community: We bring additional passion, talent, child development expertise and role models into the classroom.
• ENHANCE the learning: We balance the curriculum with the arts, movement and personalized hands-on enrichments such as robotics, book clubs, debate and salsa dance.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Chief Development Officer and working closely with staff across the organization, the Development Officer will contribute to an annual $5M+ dollar private fundraising goal, pursuit of public funding aligned with organizational goals and focus on building partnerships and raising gifts from a portfolio of 50+ corporate and foundation donors and prospects.
The ideal candidate will:
• Have a commitment to educational equity for all children.
• Be results-focused, persistent, intrinsically motivated, highly organized, intuitive, great at building and maintaining strong and trusting relationships
• Have excellent interpersonal skills, judgment, diplomacy and entrepreneurial spirit.
• Have strong organizational and analytical skills with a proven reputation for attention to detail and ability to follow through on multiple initiatives.
• Have the ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively as part of team, and manage multiple projects effectively; highly motivated to meet individual and team goals.
• Have a sense of humor and flexibility.
• Have exceptional written and oral communication skills, including ability to listen, engage and persuade.
• Have the ability to manage relationships with institutional donor and prospects
• Be determined to raise contributions of 5-8 figures and to lead ExpandED Schools’ corporate partnership strategy
• Have prior fundraising experience geared to foundation, government and corporate audiences and a passion for education.
• Have proven, successful experience in asking for and closing complex, multi-year grants, government contracts and partnerships.
Expectations & Critical Outcomes for Success
• Within six months, develop recommendations for 5-10 new corporate partnerships; ensure the support/confidence from senior ExpandED Schools staff and board in communicating our strategy to prospective partners.
• Within nine months, support an organizational culture of philanthropy that enables program and policy staff to feel confident in developing project budgets and creating/formulating goals, objectives, operations plans/timelines and desired outcomes.
• Within twelve months, add five new funders and maintain/grow the capacity of current funders.
Scope of the Position
• Establish a strategic and systemic focus on closing commitments/grants from local and national foundations, corporations, and government agencies through active and personalized stewardship.
• Update and implement an operational plan detailing goals, objectives and performance standards for a corporate partnership program.
• Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward corporate partnerships; Serve as direct contact for both existing and new corporate donors and partners.
• Engage senior managers at ExpandED Schools and partner organizations in philanthropic activities, including donor visits and proposal/partnership creation; earn and maintain the confidence of leaders.
• Guide the development of compelling donor communication and budgets; help teams refine goals, objectives, operations plans, costs and desired outcomes that meet the specifications of funders.
• Report to funders on progress of projects and partnership activities, ensuring accountability and compliance with stated purposes; monitor the progress of projects/partnerships and analyze outcomes.
• Collaborate with communications staff to recognize donors in a timely, appropriate and creative manner, including development of print and web-based materials.
• Research prospective donors and partners and help develop a strategy to maximize potential funding opportunities.
• Coordinate site visits and other funder events.
• Work with the Data Specialist to maintain accurate and current donor records and reports.
• Staff special events and donor stewardship activities.
• Bachelor’s degree and two to five years professional experience required; development experience and proven track record in corporate partnerships preferred.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint; experience with Raiser’s Edge.
ExpandED Schools staff is concerned with the “big picture” and sees challenge as an opportunity for learning and positive change. ExpandED Schools’ work culture is entrepreneurial, fast-paced and collaborative. We’re passionate about what we do and are committed to working hard and having fun while we do it.
You are the colleague we are looking for if you:
• Are truly committed to donor development with great creativity and idea generation;
• Understand how your role contributes to the overall success of the organization’s mission;
• Are looking for an opportunity to put your skills to work;
• Need to constantly be challenged and enjoy exploring new opportunities;
• Enjoy your work and want to use it to make an impact; and
• Are looking to join a dynamic team.
ExpandED Schools offers a generous benefits package which includes:
• Full-time and eligible part-time employees receive medical, dental and vision plans for employees and dependents, largely subsidized by ExpandED Schools
• Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts
• Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability coverage
• A generous paid time off package which includes 20 vacation days, 8 sick days, 4 personal days and 10 paid holidays (prorated for part-time staff)
• 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match requirement)
• Commitment to work-life balance
• Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after one year of service
• Professional development opportunities, including funds to participate in external training and coaching opportunities
How to ApplyInterested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and 2 professional writing samples to email@example.com, Subject: Development Officer – [Candidate’s First & Last Name] No faxes or phone calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. ExpandED Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer
137 total views, 1 today