Marketing and Communications Director of Communications
ExpandED Schools works to ensure that students in low-income communities have opportunities to discover their talents and develop their full potential. We give kids more hours in the school day, bring more role models into the classroom, and infuse their learning with the arts, STEM, sports and character-building activities. These are the supports and experiences kids need in order to grow into caring, confident and successful adults. In our first decade, we created the nation’s first citywide system of K-12 after-school programs and leveraged more than $500 million in private and public funds to match the $125 million of our founding grant. Today, we continue to reimagine learning time – in school, after school and during the summer – developing scalable and sustainable models that provide more, quality learning. Since our founding in 1998, we have reached more than one million students and trained more than 30,000 educators and teachers. We:
• EXPAND the school day: Adding 2.5 hours each day; closing the learning gap by 450 hours/school year.
• ENGAGE the community: Bringing additional role models – tutors, coaches, and teaching artists – into the classroom.
• ENHANCE the learning: Balancing the curriculum with arts, sports, STEM and character-building enrichments.
The Director of Communications is the lead strategist, creator and protector of ExpandED Schools’ voice, messaging, content and visual presentation across all media, leading a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy that supports ExpandED Schools in meeting its goals and mission.
• Oversee Communications department, serving on the organization’s leadership team and collaborating to design and drive the organization’s communications and marketing strategy.
• Oversee all public relations functions and establish ExpandED Schools’ public presence with key audiences.
• Direct all press outreach, relations and communications.
• Supervise writing, design and production of all publications including blog, e-newsletters, brochures, videos, policy briefs and reports and ExpandED Schools’ annual reports.
• Supervise writing, design and production of all content that supports fundraising and Development publications and events.
• Share leadership of event planning and production for multiple audiences, including press, policy and individual and institutional donors.
• Frequently write and produce a variety of short pieces that include blog posts, advocacy alerts, articles, Ops Eds and social media content.
• Supervise one additional communications staff member (to be hired).
• Bachelor’s degree and at least 5-7 years of experience in public relations, media, marketing or nonprofit communications
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Experience conducting media relations with up-to-date NYC contacts
• Experience in producing outstanding communications and marketing materials in all media including print, web, social media, animated and live-action video
• Experience producing communications for successful Development campaigns and events
• Strong organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects
• Commitment to collaboration and participating as a member of a team that recognizes that it is strengthened through its diversity
• Interpersonal skills that inspire team members and colleagues with a commitment to excellence in communications
• Passion for ExpandED Schools’ mission
• Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office suite
• Ability and willingness to travel throughout New York City (approximately 10%) and to other cities (occasionally)
ExpandED Schools offers a generous benefits package which includes:
• Paid time off comprising 20 vacation days, 8 sick days, 4 personal days and 10 paid holidays
• 403b retirement plan with eligibility for employer contribution of 5% of annual compensation after one year of employment (no match requirement)
• Medical, dental and vision plans for employees and dependents
• Health, dependent care and transit pre-tax accounts
• Employer-paid life insurance and supplemental disability coverage
• Commitment to work-life balance
• Partial tuition reimbursement offered to employees after one year of service
• Professional development opportunities, including funds to participate in external training and coaching opportunities
How to ApplyInterested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com, Subject: Director of Communications. No faxes or phone calls, please. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. ExpandED Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer
196 total views, 1 today