Operations / Administration Director of Education Policy and Insideschools
The Center for New York City Affairs (CNYCA) is an applied public policy research organization based at The New School’s Milano School for Policy, Management and the Environment. The Center offers analysis and solutions to pressing social and economic challenges. Using rigorous analysis, journalistic research, public convenings, and collaborations with government, nonprofits, and community residents, we seek to strengthen neighborhoods, support families, and improve public services. CNYCA seeks a Director of Education Policy and Insideschools to lead our education portfolio, which includes providing practical information to parents and cutting-edge policy research. InsideSchools is the premier source of information on NYC public schools and the website serves more than 1.5 million students and parents each year. Recent policy research has focused on racial and economic integration, including offering strategies for schools to recruit and retain diverse families, highlighting the inequities in the specialized high schools admission process, and pressing the city to set more ambitious integration goals.
The Director of Education Policy and InsideSchools leads the Center’s education policy agenda, develops and executes research projects, manages the InsideSchools website and parent engagement, supervises staff and students, and fundraises for the education project. This position reports to the Executive Director of the Center for New York City Affairs.
- Serve as an expert on education issues
- Engage in local policy discussions and develop actionable policy proposals
- Prepare reports and policy briefs, contributing regularly to the Center’s on-line Urban Matters feature, organizing and presenting at public forums, and cultivating effective relationships with the news media, public officials, and community partners.
- Provide editorial leadership for all content areas of the InsideSchools website including school reviews, blog posts and “how-to” guides for parents.
- Oversee technical improvements and updates to the InsideSchools website, including adding new features such as a guided search.
- Supervise team of staff and student workers.
- Responsible for active fund-raising, including grant and report writing and cultivating relationships with funders, to support the salaries and program expenses for InsideSchools and education policy projects.
- Contribute ideas and support the work of others at the Center to ensure the broader success of the organization in fulfilling its mission.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10 of years of experience
- Proven track record of successful fundraising.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex information clearly to a range of audiences in writing, through public speaking and to the media.
- Experience in leadership roles in sectors such as government, public policy, and nonprofit management.
- Deep knowledge and experience on issues concerning New York City government, schools, education, community advocacy and engagement, and policy analysis.
- Master’s degree.
- Project management experience for web design and development
In addition to a dynamic and progressive work environment, The New School offers a competitive benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, retirement plans, flexible spending accounts and a tuition waiver. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and offer employee assistance services, health and well-being programs and over four weeks of vacation time per year.
Apply with us and discover the rewards and opportunities in working for a world-class, urban university.
Interested candidates must apply online at: http://careers.newschool.edu/postings/17247