Finance Director of Finance
Director of Finance
Start Date: June 1st, 2019
Location: Harlem, NY
Neighborhood Charter Schools is a small support network that currently manages one existing high-performing public charter school across three locations in Central and West Harlem. We are expanding from one school to two in August 2019 – the additional school in the South Bronx. Our flagship school, Neighborhood Charter School: Harlem, is currently one of the highest performing independent charter schools in the City of New York. NCSH will serve grades K-8 and Neighborhood Charter Schools will be opening the doors of the Bronx campus with grades K-1 in the 2019-2020 academic year. We are looking for an experienced individual who is excited by the challenge of being part of the school and has the dedication and motivation to ensure financial excellence. The Director of Finance will be a direct report to the Chief of Staff.
Mission of the School
Our mission is to provide the children of Harlem and the Bronx with new educational opportunities through a rigorous, comprehensive K-8 program that cultivates the intellectual, social and emotional development of each child. Our students, who include high functioning children with autism spectrum disorders, will become independent learners and critical thinkers, will acquire the academic skills that they need to succeed in college preparatory high schools, and will exhibit the social and emotional skills that will allow them to reach their full potential.
The Director of Finance ensures sound financial management. Responsibilities include:
- Manage payroll system, payroll files and Time/Attendance Tracking system
- Ensure proper recording of all transactions in Intacct
- Coordinate tax filings and 990 filing with auditor
- Assist with managing all financial audits and determining the need for an OMB Circular A-133 audit on a yearly basis.
- Issue tax notices (1099s) to vendors and contractors
- Manage all compliance responsibilities, including Titles I-V
- Correspond with Donors and Prospects, including “Thank You” Letters
- Coordinate grant writing and reporting
- Manage fundraising software (SalesForce)
- Cultivate relationships with foundations and outside organizations
- Ensure proper documentation and implementation of government-funded grant programs (e.g. E-Rate, School Food Authority Program, etc.).
- Prepare reports for the NYS Education Department, the NYC Department of Education, and a range of governmental oversight agencies (annual reports, renewal application, program reports)
- Finance Committee Liaison
- Lead finance committee meetings
- Create and lead board presentations
- Lead annual budget planning process
- Create multi year budgets
- Budget monitoring
- Financial reporting
- Produce monthly, quarterly, semi-annual and annual reporting as required by the network team, board, and authorizer
- Lead professional development and accountability with school based leadership
- Ensure fidelity to financial policies and procedures
- Capital finance strategy and planning
- Comply with required financial covenants and restrictions
- Secure and manage financing for new and existing facilities
- B.S. in Business or Accounting or at least three years of experience in a financial role
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel required
- Demonstrated abilities to implement financial policies and procedures
- Ability to work closely with diverse audiences including Board of Trustees, Funders, Instructional Leaders, Operations staff, vendors and other stakeholders
- Experience with Intacct Accounting software and/or Expensify preferred
- Experience working in a charter school preferred
Salary ranges between $80,000 – $90,000 depending on qualifications. Includes full benefits package and bonus.