Operations / Administration Director of Human Resources
DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Salary – $105,000 – $115,000
We offer an attractive benefits package to include health, dental, vision, life insurance and paid time off as well as a retirement plan through PERA.
The Elizabeth School District is seeking an experienced human resources professional or an experienced school administrator to administer all aspects of its employee related processes, systems and programs. The Elizabeth School District has a cordial, high-achieving student body.
The community of Elizabeth is located in a beautiful area of the Palmer Divide among rolling hills and pine forests with views of Pikes Peak and the Front Range. At an elevation of 6448 feet, Elizabeth is located 15 miles east of I-25 about 45 minutes southeast of Denver or northeast of Colorado Springs.
The Director of Human Resources provides leadership for all matters related to the Elizabeth School District’s Human Resources activities, and guides and manages Human Resources services, policies, and programs for the district. This includes but is not limited to leadership in recruitment, staffing and retention, employee orientation, policy development and documentation, employee relations, compensation and benefits, HR regulatory compliance, and employment law, and workers’ compensation. This individual will remain focused on continuing to seek opportunities to create a pipeline of individuals to fill vacancies in the district through external partnerships and professional organizations. Collaborates with district personnel on performance management and employee training and development.
- Assists in planning and budgeting for Human Resources needs.
- Identifies, implements, and supports state of the art human resources practices that attract and retain the very best in their fields.
- Networks with local institutions of higher education and alternative education programs to connect potential applicants with the district.
- Directs the hiring of district staff. Collaborates with district stakeholders in the recruitment and selection process for all positions including the development of job postings and interview questions, screening and applicant reviews, interview processes and applicant feedback.
- Processes all new employees into the district HR systems.
- Manages all personnel files and teacher certification records. Ensures all paperwork and data entry are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Provides new employees with an orientation to the district and to policies, procedures, and benefits.
- Manages workers’ compensation claims and compliance programs.
- Manages the district’s recruiting efforts throughout the year by promoting district employment opportunities and acting as the liaison between teacher preparation programs and the district.
- Represents Human Resources on various internal committees, work groups, and outside agencies, providing policy assistance and guidance.
- Attends Board of Education meetings as needed and participates in discussions related to compensation, benefits and terms/conditions of employment.
- Designs and implements programs to recognize outstanding employee contributions.
- Provides support and assistance to district personnel by investigating and addressing employee relations issues, including discipline and grievances as well as facilitating resolution.
- Creates and distributes contracts and notices of assignment, and processes salary advancement for leadership, certified and classified staff.
- Provides Human Resources input into the interpretation of district policies and procedures, as well as federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations.
- Provides advice and guidance to the Board of Education, superintendent and other district stakeholders on personnel matters and the creation/revision of personnel policies and administrative procedures.
- Provides human resources data for the annual CDE Human Resources Data Collection Report and submits all other required state or federal HR related reports.
- Serves as Title IX and HIPAA coordinator and monitors district compliance.
- Ensures compliance with all regulations and policies pertaining to FMLA.
- Evaluates and ensures compliance with Colorado sick leave laws.
- Manages certified and classified evaluation process, educator effectiveness, endorsements, and credentialing.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Public Administration, Educational Leadership or a directly related field.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience in human resources management and/or school/district leadership is preferred.
- Knowledge or experience with Frontline, Lynq (alio), and Lynq (EEOC5) preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of staff and the general public, both verbally and in writing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and sustain effective work relationships.
- Strong customer service orientation and skills.
- Strong time management skills and organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail, accuracy, and follow through.
- Flexibility to work effectively both independently and in teams.
- Ability to mediate and problem solve.
- Thorough knowledge of human resources principles and practices and applicable state and federal laws, rules, and regulations as they relate to education and employment.
- Knowledge of schools and public school systems.
- Demonstrates a customer-service orientation and a positive attitude.
- Remains flexible in a dynamic and changing environment.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload.
- Ability to work cooperatively with administrators and co-workers, as well as independently.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to effectively communicate with the school district community.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATION
SPHR or PHR certification preferred