Operations Director of Operations
Who We Are
RePublic Schools is a network of high-performing public charter schools based in Nashville, TN and Jackson, MS with a mission to reimagine public education in the South and prepare all of our scholars to graduate from college. In addition to providing a world-class traditional academic curriculum, we empower our students to be change-makers by teaching them to code – starting in the 5th grade.
Despite the fact that our scholars come from traditionally underserved communities (approximately 85% identify as low-income, and nearly 95% as students of color), we have seen them defy the odds to achieve outstanding results. RePublic’s schools have scored in the top 5% of all open-enrollment public schools across the state of Tennessee for both student growth and absolute achievement – making ours the first (and only) charter schools in state history to achieve this dual distinction.
At RePublic, we cultivate a cohesive community of families, staff, and scholars committed to doing whatever it takes to ensure our scholars succeed. We are looking for a Director of Operations in Jackson, MS for the 2019-20 school year in one of RePublic’s schools (middle or high school). Candidates must share our unwavering belief that all children can achieve at high levels and change the world. Sound like you?
What You’ll Do
At RePublic, our school-based operations teams exist to block and tackle for staff to ensure that they can focus on what matters most each day – teaching and learning. Part architect, part-fine tuner, and all-seeing, the Director of Operations (DOO) is the operational leader of the school and reports directly to the Principal. The DOO creates and maintains all crucial non-instructional systems that enable our schools to run like clockwork to create an academic environment in which instruction is top priority.
RePublic’s DOOs are the business brains behind the school’s healthy existence: they’re responsible at the school level for the organization and management of the school’s finances, state and federal reporting, risk management, facilities planning and maintenance, transportation, technology, vendor relationships, student enrollment data, and staff compliance. A mastermind behind the scenes, the scene is better planned, organized, executed, documented, and communicated because of the DOO and his/her leadership of each school’s Operations Team.
- Operational Leadership + Management
- Develop systems and procedures to ensure seamless execution of all school operations each day, including, but not limited to, school food provision, student transportation (arrival and dismissal), emergency plans, facility maintenance and upkeep, and supply and asset inventory and maintenance (technology, books, classroom supplies, etc.).
- Directly manage and coach a 2-3 person operations team at the school – including full-time, and any part time staff members or Operations fellows.
- Provide critical academic support by working with the school-based leadership team to manage logistical elements of major student assessments; support the logistics of school-wide events and off-site events, including field trips, Family Nights, and New Student Orientations.
- Coach the entire school-level team to operational excellence by ensuring operational systems are implemented with fidelity by all staff members and by giving feedback to stakeholders when systems are not meeting the bar of excellence.
- Serve as a critical face of the school with external stakeholders, including families, and work actively to ensure strong community buy-in to the school’s vision and approach to education.
- Student Enrollment, Data + Compliance
- Manage the school registration process and own student recruitment activities (with support of RePublic’s network team) to ensure schools are fully enrolled; \Serve as the resident expert on the student information system and ensure accuracy of this system;
- Support the implementation of school schedule; and
- Ensure the school is adhering to all local/state compliance and reporting requirements.
- School-level Finances and Human Resources
- Actively manage the school budget by participating in monthly budget meetings to review budget variances and actively monitor school spending;
- Manage the school purchasing process by establishing clear systems for staff to request items, placing orders with vendors, tracking delivery, and coding and submitting purchases orders, invoices, and reimbursement requests to the network team; and
- Partner with network operations team to onboard new hires and to ensure teachers meet compliance and certification requirements.
Who You Are
Our ideal Director of Operations has an unwavering belief that our students can achieve at an exceptionally high level. Beyond that, he/she is:
- Deeply committed to serving our kids. You have elected to work with historically underserved students, and do this work because you believe that all students, regardless of background, are capable of excellence – and that it’s on us as adults to get our kids there. You can speak knowledgeably about our mission, and demonstrate a commitment to our educational model. You understand that educational inequity is more pronounced in the South than anywhere else in the nation, and you want to work with RePublic in part because of our commitment to this region.
- Knowledgeable about the inner workings of schools and school-based Operations.You’ve got at least 3-5 years of experience teaching or working in operations in schools like ours – or in schools where you felt operational systems kept teachers from teaching and kids from learning.
- A laser-focused systems builder who designs airtight systems and processes that endure over time and maximize efficiency. You anticipate where a system will break down before it ever stands a chance, and nothing makes you happier than when you see others implement this system like clockwork.
- A detail maven and masterful executor. Your personal organization system ensures you get things done. You sweat the smallest of stuff, communicate effectively in all forms, and plan fervently backwards to meet timelines, achieve big goals, and manage complex projects with many moving pieces (and lots of involved stakeholders) across a finish line.
- A gritty problem-solver. You keep it cool when things are crazy, approach problems with viable solutions, and know when you need to roll up your sleeves to support your team.
- Customer service oriented. You want to be a servant leader, and are comfortable in leadership roles where your job is to make it easier for others to do theirs at an exceptionally high level.
- A growth-minded tinkerer. You are self-aware and humble enough to understand where you rock, where you need to pick up your game, and how this impacts the people you lead. You seek feedback constantly because you’re hungry to get better, and you take extreme ownership of the outcomes of the people you coach and manage – you “pull back the thumb” before you “point the finger.”
- A people leader. Let’s be real – managing people is hard. You’ve coached, directly managed, and demonstrably moved the effectiveness of other adults before taking this job. You build relationships across lines of difference, inspire and motivate others to buy into your vision, navigate challenging conversations with finesse, make tough calls, communicate effectively in all formats, give and receive feedback fluidly, and model/hold a high bar for adult excellence and exuberance.
- Other qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree with a preference for a graduate degree in a related field.
- At least 1-2 years of leadership experience directly managing + coaching adults required.
- At least 3-5 years of teaching experience in K-12 with a track record of impressive student achievement results and/or other experience working in K-12 schools strongly preferred.
- Familiarity/proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Google Office required.
- Proficiency and experience in budget management + oversight strongly preferred.
How to ApplyTo Apply
- Interested? To apply for this position, please submit a resume and an optional cover letter:http://republiccharterschools.org/careers
420 total views, 1 today