Instructional Support Director of Student Supports
RePublic Schools is a network of high-performing public charter schools based in Nashville, TN and Jackson, MS with a mission to reimagine public education in the South and prepare all of our scholars to graduate from college. In addition to providing a world-class traditional academic curriculum, we empower our students to be change-makers by teaching them to code – starting in the 5th grade.
Despite the fact that our scholars come from traditionally underserved communities (approximately 85% identify as low-income, and nearly 95% as students of color), we have seen them defy the odds to achieve outstanding results. RePublic’s schools have scored in the top 5% of all open-enrollment public schools across the state of Tennessee for both student growth and absolute achievement – making ours the first (and only) charter schools in state history to achieve this dual distinction.
At RePublic, we cultivate a cohesive community of families, staff, and scholars committed to doing whatever it takes to ensure our scholars succeed. We are looking for a dynamic, determined Director of Student Supports (DSS) to lock arms with the team at RePublic High School for the 2017-2018 school year. Candidates must share our unwavering belief that all children can achieve at high levels and change the world. Sound like you?
What You’ll Do
Reporting to the Principal, the school-based Director of Student Supports will develop, implement, and manage a robust and effective vision and strategy for serving students with special needs at RePublic High School. RePublic’s student population mirrors the districts we serve, meaning we have roughly 15-20% of students on IEPs, with a diverse set of special needs. The school-based DSE will monitor compliance at the school-level, manage a case load, and provide coaching, development, and support to other special education teachers in the building. to provide a world class education to students with special needs.
- Develop and manage a sustainable, compliant, and effective special education program at an individual RePublic middle school in Nashville;
- Develop efficient and effective processes through which RePublic students have access to high-quality special education services;
- Coach the school’s Special Education Teachers to provide a world class educational program for students with special needs, including the development and facilitation of effective professional development sessions for teachers around how best to serve and differentiate instruction for students with special needs;
- Manage a case load to provide educational services to scholars with special needs (both co-teaching in general education classrooms and/or providing service minutes to students in small group settings)
- Work in conjunction with Nashville’s Regional Director to manage relationships with host districts and state departments of education;
- Ensure special education processes at the school are well-managed and compliant with all regulations from host districts and state departments of education; and
- Work to ensure RePublic’s schools are well-positioned to serve students with a wide variety of needs
Who You Are
Our ideal School-Based DSS will have an unwavering belief that all students can achieve their and their parents’ dreams. Beyond that, a successful candidate will have:
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
- Extensive experience and passion for working with students with special needs;
- Certification in special education in the state of Tennessee, or possess a certification in another state that successfully transfers to TN according to the TN Department of Education reciprocity requirements;
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with a capacity to remain calm and focused when faced with unexpected challenges;
- An ability to establish a vision and goals;
- Obsessive attention to detail;
- A demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and assignments simultaneously;
- A demonstrated ability to take initiative, prioritize tasks, and work independently;
- A sense of humility in the face of both challenge and success; and
- A passionate belief and conviction in RePublic’s mission, values, and educational model;
Salary is competitive and commensurate based on experience. Compensation at RePublic includes a comprehensive benefits package.