Operations / Administration Director, Recruitment
Positions Report to: Managing Director, Talent
Start Date: Immediate
Compensation: EHTP offer a comprehensive benefits package
FLSA Status: Exempt
Who We Are:
East Harlem Tutorial Program (EHTP) began in 1958 as a children’s reading group and has since grown into a multi-site after-school program for traditional public school students and a network of public charter schools focused on significantly increasing the college graduation rate in East Harlem. We are on track to serve at least 25% of East Harlem students by 2025, with enrollment for this year at approximately 2200 students in our schools and after school programs. In 2020, 99% of our seniors were accepted to college, and our current scholars in college are on-track to graduate at eight times the national average of their peers.
At EHTP we also aim to serve as an agent of change and thoughtfully contribute to the national fight for racial equity. Through our organization-wide commitment to anti-racism work, we prepare our scholars to effect change, challenge the status quo, and thrive in the world around them. As staff members, we face our own racial identities and conscious and unconscious biases. With this in mind, all of our professional development, curriculum, organizational materials, and processes are designed with a goal of racial justice. Read our racial equity statement here.
We ground all of our work in racial equity, in our core values, and in our four guiding pursuits: the Revolutionary Pursuit of Love, the Radical Pursuit of Knowledge, the Responsive Pursuit of Healing, and in the Relentless Pursuit of Results. These pursuits inform and are reflected in our current four key strategic priorities: to increase high-impact, high-quality academic curriculum, programming content, staff capacity, and coaching; to embrace and advance our use of technology; to deepen our embodiment of ethical and equitable radical humanity; and to efficiently operationalize teaching, learning, community, and care.
About The Opportunity:
We are seeking a Director, Recruitment to drive the strategic visioning, implementation, and assessment of recruitment and selection for the growing EHTP network. The Director, Recruitment will build an effective recruitment strategy and impactful campaign to attract, recruit, and retain top talent that is aligned with our anti-racism work. As a natural relationship-builder who upholds our commitment to providing an equitable and transparent recruitment process, the Director, Recruitment will embody a culture of continuous learning that meaningfully and humanely improves the team’s effectiveness and workflow. Reporting to the Managing Director, Talent, the Director, Recruitment will manage a team of four and oversees recruitment and retention for the entire EHTP organization, which consists of East Harlem Scholars Academies (a network of five schools), Out-of-School Time (OST) program, Teaching Residency, and Central Office. This individual will play a critical role in fueling the growth of EHTP and the magnitude of the organization’s impact in East Harlem by working closely with our senior leadership team, deputy superintendents, and principals.
What You will Accomplish:
- Partner with the MD, Talent and Superintendent/CAO to develop and implement phased, multi-year talent recruitment. hiring, and on-boarding strategy, reflecting organizational capacity and growth over the next 3 years
- Build out the data, systems, team, and processes to realize a best in class recruitment and selection function
- Partner with the senior management team to develop and manage and monitor progress toward a radically-human, anti-racist hiring process for all roles within the organization
- Partner with the senior management team and hiring managers on team design, job requirements, and creating job descriptions; and provide quality-assurance systems and management for all candidate sourcing, pre-screens, and interviewing procedures and protocols and scoring, and overall candidate experience
- Lead the recruitment team in researching, designing, and implementing the most equitable and best-in-class retention initiatives
- Lead and implement the continuing professional development for the recruitment team members
- In partnership with the recruitment team, marketing and communications, design and oversee external events, e.g. open houses, happy hours, webinars, and other targeted events, to increase brand awareness of EHTP, leading to stronger pipelines of potential candidates
What Qualifies You:
- You have 5+ years of recruitment and/or talent strategy experience, preferably with a school network or mission-driven nonprofit organization
- You have 2-3 years of management experience of adults with varying levels of experience
- You have experience building, implementing and refining effective systems for finding, hiring, and onboarding staff, and ensuring high engagement and retention of top performers
- You have a track record for being a great assessor of potential hires, having diverse networks that help you recruit the best people, and serving as a trusted advisor to ensure hiring decisions are equitable, radically human, rooted in data, and that bias is mitigated
- You are highly organized and possess excellent project management skills
- You are a self-starter who can move complex projects forward without heavy oversight
- You have a strong customer service-based approach to recruiting and relationship-building
- You have a race and equity lens that guides your work and efforts to help others build their capacity to consider the impact of their identities and actions in their work
- You understand schools and teaching and learning, either through direct instructional experience or close partnership with educators
- You have experience building strategies from the ground up that are clear, efficient, and aligned to organizational goals
- You hold yourself to high professional and ethical standards
- You believe deeply in EHTP’s mission, core values, and racial equity work
Thank you for taking the time to submit your application.