Teacher Middle School Social Studies Teacher
About Mott Hall Charter School:
Mott Hall Charter School (MHCS) is a small public middle school whose mission is to prepare our scholars in mind, body, and character to succeed in top high schools, college, and careers by becoming inquisitive, open-minded, and compassionate citizens of the world. We accomplish this through a whole child approach including the International Baccalaureate Program, enhanced counseling and character development, 21st century technology infusion, and our career and college readiness program.
Mott Hall is starting teacher recruitment for the 2018-2019 school year.
At Mott Hall, we are a Professional Learning Community, where all teachers are supported by experienced educators, and honored as professionals with leadership pathways to advance their careers. Our education program is grounded in evidence-based research of how students learn best. All teachers receive training in the following six components of Mott Hall’s 21st century approach to teaching:
- Student-Centered methods of instruction
- Effective classroom management approaches
- The latest research in adolescent development and social emotional health
- How to integrate literacy into lessons regardless of content area
- How to use technology to accelerate student learning
- How to use data to inform instruction and improve student outcomes
Social Studies at Mott Hall consists of both geography and history. The study of geography leads scholars from an understanding of the immediate environment to an appreciation of geography at regional, national and global levels. The study of history involves a truly international approach. It addresses a variety of cultures and times, and stresses their increasing interaction in our modern world. History within an international curriculum stresses the ability to analyze evidence, to use historical sources in a critical way, to detect bias, and to argue empathetically. Beyond factual knowledge, scholars are encouraged to develop the capacity to think and write historically and to enjoy and value the past as a means by which to understand and appreciate the present.
Responsibilities and Duties
The successful candidate will:
- Use the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme as the School’s framework for teaching and learning.
- Employ progressive approaches to students’ social/emotional and character development.
- Implement the workshop model of instruction and use differentiated instructional techniques to meet the interests, intelligences, abilities, and learning styles of adolescents.
- Incorporate explicit reading and writing strategies in daily routines and classroom instruction.
- Implement components of the School’s college and career readiness program.
- Participate in collaborative planning in content-specific teams and interdisciplinary teams and develop interdisciplinary, project-based units of study throughout the school year.
- Integrate instructional technology into student learning activities.
- Use formative assessment to provide on-going feedback to every student and periodic summative assessment to measure student learning, develop instructional plans to meet student needs, and administer follow-up assessment and analysis.
- Maintain reporting and planning documents including electronic/internet-based formats for curriculum maps, unit plans, lesson plans, grade book, student behavior, and assessment analysis.
- Lead educational field trips and service learning experiences.
- Attend parental engagement activities including parent/teacher conferences, open houses, and maintain frequent communication with parents through a variety of communication channels.
- New York State certification Grades K-6, 5-9, or 7-12 in appropriate subject area.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS:
- Our beginning compensation is 15% higher than New York City Department of Education with bonuses for performance and longevity increases of 5% after 3, 6, and 9 years and 10% after 14 and 19 years.
- Comprehensive health benefits and retirement plan with employer match of 3% in year 1-5 and 5% in year 6 and beyond.
- Paid parking or metro card
- Signing incentive of $500 to welcome you to the team!
How to ApplyTo apply send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of the email, please add the subject area and your full name.
403 total views, 1 today