Teacher Elementary Classroom Co-Teacher at Progressive Public School
MISSION OF THE SCHOOL
Compass Charter School is a safe and nurturing educational environment that honors the individuality of each learner. By engaging in a process of inquiry, our graduates will be equipped with the necessary skills to lead fulfilling personal and professional lives, including a developed sense of self, the ability to think in innovative and flexible ways, and the inspiration to make a positive impact on their community.
DESCRIPTION OF THE SCHOOL
Compass Charter School is an inquiry-based, intentionally diverse, progressive elementary school that opened in the fall of 2014 in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. In the 2021-2022 school year, Compass we will enroll approximately 330 students in pre-kindergarten through fifth grade.
Compass Charter School is seeking committed educators to join our school community. Classroom Co-Teachers work in collaboration with Special Education Classroom Co-Teachers in each of our Integrated Co-Teaching (ICT) classrooms and teach the same group of students for two consecutive years (looping).
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree preferred
- 3 or more years of relevant teaching experience preferred
- New York State Teacher Certification (Early Childhood, Childhood, and/or Special Education)
- Educational philosophy aligns with the mission and vision of Compass
- Commitment to diverse learning environments and anti-racist practices
- Previous success in raising academic achievement of students within an urban community
- Reflective practitioner in a state of constant professional growth and a willingness to share their craft with others
- Commitment to integrating sustainability and the arts into core curricular subjects
- Knowledge of the school neighborhood
- Experience with co-teaching preferred
- Experience working with children with special needs in an Integrated Co-teaching classroom preferred
- Experience planning and teaching interdisciplinary units of study preferred.
- Commitment to and knowledge of experiential and inquiry-based teaching and learning
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience collaborating with children, families, colleagues, and administrators
- Collaborate with co-teacher, support staff, and school leaders to provide high-quality, relevant instruction to all children
- Actively participate in a professional learning community
- Use a variety of assessments to measure student learning and drive instruction
- Use student performance data to tailor and differentiate curriculum
- Collaboratively plan interdisciplinary units of study
- Commit to working with one class of students for two consecutive years and with one co-teacher for two consecutive years (looping)
- Actively participate in the school’s decision-making process
- Regularly communicate with families, students, and community partners
- Integrate the Compass mission, vision, and collective commitments into classroom culture, units of study, and interactions with staff, families, and students
- Integrate the real world and surrounding community into curriculum, including directly addressing race and racism within the classroom and curriculum
- Build and maintain positive relationships with students, families, and colleagues
- Maintain confidentiality with student information and records
- Create a positive and safe classroom culture and community
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
How to ApplyTO APPLY
- Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include CLASSROOM CO-TEACHER in the subject line of the email.
- Your cover letter should include a statement of your educational philosophy and also state why you are interested in becoming part of the team at Compass Charter School.
- If you have questions about any of our positions, please feel free to email Brooke Peters, Co-Leader of Curriculum and Instruction, at firstname.lastname@example.org.