Teacher Elementary School Special Education Teacher (Grades K-5) 2017-18
Harlem Village Academies
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working to build an urban K-12 school model based on the principles of progressive education. Located in Harlem, HVA is also the demonstration site for the Progressive Education Institute.
Progressive Educational Philosophy
We believe students learn best through experience, deep engagement and discovery. We want our students to be intellectually curious, creative, and independent. We want them to love learning, to be articulate and reflective. Students should spend their school days constructing knowledge, grappling with questions, and doing the intellectual heavy lifting, with teachers as adept guides.
Constant Learning for Teachers
We give our faculty access to the most accomplished master teachers and the most sophisticated professional learning opportunities in the country. We’re learning every day, meeting frequently to discuss our instruction, reflect on our lessons and improve our pedagogy. We’re passionate about creating a rich intellectual life for ourselves and our students.
Who We’re Looking For
Our teachers are smart, passionate educators who believe that all students can learn at the highest level. We look for teachers with a track record of high performance, who inspire students to love learning, and who play very well with others.
- Develop and teach highly engaging, academically rigorous curriculum and lessons, aligned with HVA’s standards and progressive pedagogical philosophy
- Invest several hours per week in professional learning, including personalized instructional coaching, lesson study, co-planning, book study groups and other learning work
- Communicate regularly with the Center for Special Education regarding special education students’ needs
- Write and update Individualized Education Plans (IEPs)
- Refer students for initial and repeat evaluations
- Ensure compliance with all pertinent special education laws and policies
- Inspire students to hold themselves to high standards of academics and character
- Establish and uphold classroom routines to ensure a focused, safe and caring environment
- Analyze assessment data and use it to inform and differentiate your instruction
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards
- Maintain close relationships with families, including phone calls and conferences
- Two years of special education teaching experience preferred, preferably in grades K-5
- New York State certification in special education required
- Proven success with high-quality progressive pedagogy preferred
- Strong track record of student achievement in your past teaching
- Ability to create a class environment in which students feel safe, supported and challenged to engage deeply in meaningful work
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
How to ApplyHOW TO APPLY Please apply through the Careers section of our website: http://bit.ly/HVA-Careers. Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
142 total views, 1 today