Teacher Elementary Science Teacher 2017-18
Start date: October 2017
Location: Harlem, New York
What Makes Harlem Village Academies Different?
Harlem Village Academies is a community of educators working together to build an urban school district in Harlem based on the ideals and rich tradition of progressive education.
We believe students learn best through experience, deep engagement and discovery. We want our students to be intellectually curious, creative, and independent. We want them to love learning, to be articulate and reflective. Students should spend their school days constructing knowledge, grappling with questions, and doing the intellectual heavy lifting, with teachers as adept guides.
We give our faculty access to the most accomplished master teachers and the most sophisticated professional learning opportunities in the country.
- Ensure students act as scientists every day, by doing experiments, collecting data, and discussing their results
- Develop and teach highly engaging, inquiry-based, hands-on and intellectually rich science curriculum, units and lessons, aligned with HVA’s standards and progressive pedagogical philosophy
- Teach in a fully equipped science lab, complete with materials, technology and classroom library
- Invest several hours per week in professional learning, including personalized instructional coaching, co-planning, book study groups and other learning work
- Inspire students to hold themselves to high standards of academics and character
- Establish and uphold classroom routines to ensure a focused, safe and caring environment
- Analyze assessment data and use it to inform and differentiate your instruction
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards
- Maintain close relationships with families, including phone calls and conferences
- Two years of teaching, with significant science experience preferred, preferably in grades K-4
- Proven success with high-quality progressive pedagogy, particularly inquiry-driven science teaching, strongly preferred
- Strong track record of student achievement in your past teaching
- Ability to create a class environment in which students feel safe, supported and challenged to engage deeply in meaningful work
- A strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement
- Unshakeable conviction that all students can learn at a high level
How to ApplyHow to Apply Please apply through the Careers section of our website (http://bit.ly/HVA-Careers). Harlem Village Academies is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
29 total views, 1 today