Teacher English Language Arts Teachers for the Aspen Middle (Two Positions Available) and High School (One Position Availible)
The Aspen High School and Aspen Middle School seek English Language Arts Teachers for the 2023-2024 school year.
Position Title: English Language Arts Teacher
Department: Aspen High School / Aspen Middle School
Reports to: Aspen High School Principal / Aspen Middle School Principal
Classification: Certified Full-time Exempt
Contract Period: 9 Month (185 days with some variance depending on the year)
Salary Range: Teacher Salary Schedule
ASD offers district-funded employee and dependent health benefits including medical, vision, dental, and life insurance to benefit-eligible employees. Other benefits include (as eligible): paid leave, CO PERA (pension plan) enrollment with district contribution, TSA options, free transportation for employees from Carbondale to Aspen, employee assistance program, wellness program, and supplemental insurance (i.e. cancer, disability, etc).
- Position Summary
The English language arts teacher instructs one or more classes of English to students in grades 5-8 and 9-12, strengthening students’ reading comprehension, grammar, and writing proficiencies as well as providing the skills necessary to appreciate and critique literature. This teacher also assists in other school programs as assigned by the school principal.
II: Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate knowledge of the content area of the English language, literature and composition, and reading and writing, including knowledge of the ways in which learning takes place and the appropriate levels of cognitive, social, and emotional development of the adolescent
- Establish a respectful environment of a diverse population of students, developing a classroom environment in which each student has the opportunity to think independently and express original ideas
- Facilitate learning for all students, guiding and challenging them by using a variety of instructional methods, including integrating and utilizing technology, to provide students with opportunities to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, encourage exploration of ideas, and develop leadership qualities
- Take responsibility for student academic growth using a variety of assessments and ongoing improvement of instructional practices
- Reflect on teaching practices, analyzing student learning, development and growth and apply what is learned to improve instruction
- Demonstrate leadership, advocating for the school and students and exhibiting high ethical standards
- Demonstrate enthusiasm for collaboration, using multi-tiered system of supports (MTSS), with a team of administrators, teachers, and support staff
- Communicate effectively and interact well with parents and other community members.
- Collaborate with colleagues and the school community to enhance the teaching profession
- Have a strong desire to extend learning experiences beyond the classroom, including participation in experiential education
- Identify student needs and collaborate with other staff members in assessing and aiding students to solve health, attitude, and learning problems
- Maintain confidentiality of all student information for the purpose of protecting students, staff, parents and the District
- Communicate with parents and school counselors on the individual student’s progress
- Participate in curriculum and other programs within the school and/or on a district level
- Share in the sponsorship of student activities and participate in faculty meetings and committees
- May plan and coordinate the work of paraprofessionals or student teachers and monitor standardized tests
- Other duties as assigned or necessary.
Experience and training in IB are preferred. This may include IB teaching, tutoring, or examining experience. Implement meaningful lessons and units in your classroom while meeting the IB Program requirements. Participate in IB professional development and workshops, that may be outside of contract time.
III: Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Manages oneself (is organized, prepared, and punctual; manages resources; meets deadlines; follows through on commitments; demonstrates appropriate physical appearance relative to job and environmental expectations) in a manner that enhances the image of public education.
- Acts consistently in ways that directly support the missions of Aspen High School and the Aspen School District.
- Displays a willingness to learn new information.
- Uses strong verbal communication and strong listening skills.
- Develops and maintains rapport and effective relationships with adolescents and adults contacted in carrying out duties and responsibilities by using courtesy, diplomacy, collaboration, cooperation, support, and professional conduct.
- Formulates goals that reflect the organization’s strategic theme and include specific, measurable outcomes instead of just completing activities.
- Contributes actively to the goals and success of all teams and team members through collaboration, cooperation, and flexibility (give and take) in team discussions, activities, and decision-making.
- Maintains high ethical standards, legal responsibility, and confidentiality.
IV: Minimum Qualifications
- Candidates must possess a current, initial, or professional Colorado teaching license with an endorsement in English Language Arts grades 7-12 or be eligible to obtain this license within the first 3 months of hire.
V: Preferred Qualifications
- International Baccalaureate experience, MA in English or another related field; 3+ years of teaching ELA experience at the high school level.
VI: Work Environment
- Office environment; exposure to computer screens
- Mostly clean and comfortable surroundings
VII: Essential Physical Requirements
- The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: some lifting up to 50 lbs, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, some stooping, kneeling, sitting standing walking, and repetitive motion with computer work.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. The high school English language arts teacher will be required to follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or appropriate administrator. The Aspen School District reserves the right to update, revise, or change this job description and related duties at any time.
How to Apply
|Title||High School Principal|
|Phone||(970)925-3760 ext. 1134|
|Title||Aspen Middle School Principal|