Instructional Support English Language Learner (ELL) Specialist
- Are you an ELL educator committed to city-wide impact?
- Are you a relationship builder who is passionate about empowering other educators?
- Are you a team player who thrives in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment?
We are seeking an ELL Specialist to support NYC charter schools in building inclusive educational environments that ensure equity and access for all. The ELL Specialist will create and provide tools, resources, technical assistance, and trainings, ultimately ensuring that schools have the supports necessary to educate ELLs successfully.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Offering feedback and support through classroom and school observations across all five boroughs
- Developing professional development opportunities and resources for schools on various education topics
- Providing technical assistance and thought-partnership on ELL supports for numerous school teams, including through phone, email, and video conferencing
In order to be successful in this role, an ideal candidate should demonstrate the following:
- Expertise in best instructional practices for culturally and linguistically diverse students
- Ability to create strong and authentic relationships with school leaders, ELL leads, and teachers that support a diverse population of students
- Ability to mentor, develop, and motivate others to drive results
- Capacity to implement efficient systems and resources for supporting a large portfolio of schools
- Expert strategic-thinking skills: curiosity to solve complex problems and ability to think boldly to maximize new supports for schools
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills and strong presentation delivery
- Operate with a deep commitment to the Collaborative’s core values, mission and vision
- Motivated by an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and highly collaborative team environment
- Receptive to feedback, committed to continuous improvement, and passionate about professional growth
- Detail-oriented, organized, and highly motivated
- Determined to go “above and beyond” to support schools in ensuring all students have access to high quality programming
Experience and Educational Background
- Minimum of 4-5 years of education experience as an ELL educator, preferably in an urban school
- Experience managing or coaching other adults, especially focusing on instructional practices
The NYC Collaborative for Inclusive Education is an initiative of the New York City Charter School Center. The NYC Collaborative for Inclusive Education was founded in 2011 as a citywide, nonprofit membership organization committed to supporting quality education programs for students with disabilities in charter schools. A result of the merger between four independent borough-based special education co-operatives, the Collaborative currently serves more than 190 of NYC’s charter schools. We provide professional development, instructional resources, on-the-ground support, virtual consultation, recruitment activities and technical assistance to schools so that they can build and maintain the capacity to meet a diverse student population. Ultimately, we empower schools to develop high quality and inclusive educational programs that ensure equity and access for all students.
What We Offer
The NYC Charter School Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental insurance and a matching 401(K) plan.
Salary for this position is competitive and is based on prior experience and qualifications.