Teacher Entrepreneurship Teacher
Intrepid College Prep is a growing network of free, open-enrollment, high-performing no excuses public schools committed to preparing prepsters to excel in selective colleges, earn professional opportunities, and graduate as financially literate professionals and positive leaders. Our Blue Chip Team currently educates nearly 500 students across two schools – Opportunity Academy, serving students in grades 5-8 and Independence Academy, serving students in grades 9-10 in 2018-2019.
A pioneer in financial literacy education, Intrepid College Prep achieves remarkable academic growth for all prepsters, especially English Language Learners. In 2017, our scholars were #1 in ELL Achievement in Math, #1 in Hispanic Achievement in Math, and #1 in African-American Achievement in Math. Intrepid was also #1 in composite growth among all middle and high schools in Nashville and in the top 1% in the state for growth during the 2016-2017 school year.
Our work grows prepsters academically, financially, and socially – providing the skill sets needed to be game changing leaders in every facet of the future. Intrepid alumni will transform college campuses and the work force, raising expectations for academic excellence, financial acumen and ethical leadership.
Teach Entrepreneurship and Societal Wealth Venturing
The key responsibilities of the Entrepreneurship Teacher are to implement the school’s Social Impact & Responsibility curriculum, which is built around the undergraduate concentration of the same name at Wharton School of Business. The
social enterprise program has a foundation in business fundamentals and corporate finance in ninth grade and expands to include close study of entrepreneurship, impact investing and macroeconomics in future grades.
For this course, societal wealth venturing is defined as entrepreneurship used as a market-based catalyst to profitably confront social problems. This definition views societal wealth venturing as a distinct alternative to public sector initiatives. The basic thesis is that many social problems, if looked at through an entrepreneurial lens create opportunity for someone to launch a venture that generates profits by alleviating that social problem. This sets in motion a virtuous cycle – the entrepreneur is incented to generate more profits and in so doing, the more profits made, the more the problem is alleviated.
- Tennessee Certification in the appropriate content area, with track record of data-driven achievement.
Entrepreneurship Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
- Lay the foundation for the development of our Social Impact & Responsibility curriculum through the study of budgeting, saving, and wealth creation.
- Develop content expertise and share the importance of social entrepreneurship and business fundamentals.
- Collaborate with leaders and teachers over expanded summer professional development to create rigorous, standards aligned curriculum including scope and sequence, long-term plan, unit plans.
- Collaborate weekly with leaders and teachers to develop interim, midterm, and final assessments
- Share teaching strategies, visit peer classrooms and analyze academic achievement data daily to develop best practice pedagogy
- Demonstrated experience or willingness to engage in a community where teaching is public (i.e. engaging in classroom visits, publication and critique of curriculum, observation and feedback cycles).
- Work with our ELL and Reading Specialists to support tremendous academic growth for ELL students and readers.
- Collaborate with Prepster Support Team weekly to develop a plan to meet the needs of all learners
- Serve as a House Advisor for 10-12 students, including developing relationships with families, monitoring each student’s academic progress and fulfillment of requirements in the Pre-Collegiate Training program
- Availability to participate in after school and Saturday tutoring programs.
- Availability and willingness to engage in a limited number of evening/weekend student recruitment and parent outreach events
- Have structured planning time (minimum of 100 minutes) built into the school day to plan the highest quality lessons
- Extra duties as assigned, including bus duty approximately 2 x per month
Successful Entrepreneur teacher candidates possess the following characteristics:
- Intelligent, committed, gritty educators ready for challenge and the dogged pursuit of academic excellence.
- Dedication to educational success for students of color and low-income youth
- Demonstrated evidence of the ability to reflect and articulate the lessons learned from experience
- Demonstrated evidence of strong content knowledge in personal finance and health and wellness.
- Experience with or demonstrated desire in leading Socratic Seminars and utilizing the Harkness Method
- Demonstrated ability to formulate higher-order, open-ended questions to lead students in scholarly conversation
- Demonstrated ability to articulate the criteria for exemplary student work
- Demonstrated ability to help students overcome conceptual difficulties in a specific content area
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent classroom management skills and ability to cultivate a rigorous classroom climate
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required.
- Highest commitment to improving curriculum and instruction through collaboration, best practices, regular assessment and data analysis
- Effective communication skills with students, parents, and colleagues
- Holds a B.A./B.S. degree with a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0
- Degree in subject area intended to teach (preferred)
- Speaks Spanish or has experience working with bilingual students (preferred)
- Belief in and alignment with Intrepid College Prep’s core beliefs and educational philosophy are non-negotiable.
The position will begin in July 2018.
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies. Compensation is highly competitive; teachers are eligible to participate in the MNPS Retirement System.
Commitment to Diversity
Intrepid College Prep is an equal opportunity employer. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
How to ApplyClick here to complete the application. Note that this application screen does not require you to submit a video, although later stages of our process do so.
355 total views, 1 today