Operations / Administration Executive Director
Horizons at Saint David’s
New York, NY
About Horizons at Saint David’s
Horizons at Saint David’s was founded by Saint David’s School in 2012 as a commitment to the local community. The first Manhattan affiliate of the Horizons network, Horizons at Saint David’s works with boys from Harlem to close the opportunity gap and fuel curiosity, inspire a love of learning, build self-confidence, and expose boys to a variety of cultural experiences.
With the mission to prevent academic slide by providing a rich academic and cultural experience from kindergarten through 8th grade for boys from low-income, diverse families. Horizons provides a six-week summer academic program in which boys start as rising first graders and return each summer throughout their elementary school years, completing their final year of summer programming as rising ninth graders, with a full enrollment of 130 boys. The program provides structured lessons in reading, writing, and math and reinforces these fundamental skills through hands-on experiences in STEM, art, music, and other enrichment activities. Sports and swimming are a part of the weekly curriculum. In addition, teachers place a strong emphasis on the social and emotional development of each boy. Recently developed academic year-round programming provides opportunities for additional enrichment and support for boys, strategies for parents, and community-building with Horizons families. To learn more, please visit www.sdhorizons.org.
Horizons at Saint David’s is one of 60 Horizons programs that serve over 5,700 students across 19 states. The programs, run and hosted by private schools, colleges and universities, are part of a network supported by Horizons National. In contrast to the summer learning loss typically experienced by children from low-income families, Horizons students achieve consistent gains in reading and math each summer, have an increase in their attendance and self-confidence, and a high school graduation rate of 97%.
The Executive Director role is an exciting leadership opportunity for an individual who is passionate about preventing summer learning loss and closing the opportunity and achievement gaps for students from low-income families. The Executive Director will work with a dedicated, talented team to guide an established, successful program to its next level. The Executive Director will lead Horizons at Saint David’s through effective partnership with a variety of stakeholders, including Horizons students and families, staff, Board, and donors; Saint David’s School’s leadership and broader community; our partner schools; and Horizons National and Horizons New York City. The Executive Director will continue to refine the summer program, expand year-round programming, develop a comprehensive process for maintaining contact with alums, and build the volunteer base. They will ensure the effectiveness of all of the program’s operations.
- Drive the continued evolution and refinement of our academic curriculum and program, with a particular focus on ensuring an engaging and rigorous experience for students in grades one through eight
- Lead all aspects of our summer program, including:
- Recruiting, training, and supervising teaching staff to deliver a high-quality academic program, working across this team to oversee curriculum, goals, and daily schedules and to maintain appropriate records on the academic, social, and emotional progress of each student
- Overseeing volunteer coordination
- Planning off-campus trips
- Coordinating with Saint David’s School for use of facilities
- Managing contracts and coordination with all vendors (including food service, swimming pool facilities, and bus companies)
- Ensuring compliance with all regulatory and licensing requirements
- Guide the continue development and delivery of our academic-year and alumni programs
- Build strong partnerships with feeder schools in order to support recruitment of Horizons students and families
- Build and maintain supportive relationships with Horizons students and families through effective and responsive communication and a deep understanding of their needs
- Partner with the Board to establish and meet short-term goals and set the future strategic direction of the program
- Report at board meetings, serve on all board committees, and ensure all members are engaged and supported effectively
- Manage budgeting, financial controls, and reporting for the program, collaborating with Saint David’s School’s finance department to ensure accurate record keeping and approval of all revenue and expenses
- Coordinate with Horizons National, fulfilling all Horizons National reporting requirements, implementing Horizons National best practices where applicable, and attending Horizons National conferences
Development and Communications:
- Create and implement a sustainable fundraising strategy
- Research and solicit new sources of funding, prepare grant proposals and reports, and build and maintain strong relationships with donors
- Plan and oversee Horizons at Saint David’s fundraising events in collaboration with the Event Committee of the Board
- Collaborate with the Saint David’s School’s development office to ensure effective donor management, appropriate development strategies, and accurate reporting and acknowledgment of all gifts
- Create and execute an annual communications plan, including website, marketing videos, social media, email newsletters, and public relations activities, as well as effective communications with Horizons families
As the incoming Executive Director, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You demonstrate a strong commitment to Horizons’ mission and a belief in the value of high-quality summer learning to help low-income students reach their full potential. Experience with students and families from East Harlem or similar communities is a strong benefit for this leader.
- You come to this role with 7+ years of experience in education, with success in educational leadership or teaching and curriculum design positions.
- You bring excellent interpersonal skills, with a demonstrated ability to build and support positive and respectful relationships, a strong sense of cultural competency, and experience working with a diverse range of stakeholders. You also offer the ability to act as a spokesperson for Horizons to a broad public audience.
- You have experience with financial management, including budgeting, financial controls, and reporting, or you demonstrate an interest and aptitude for this area of responsibility.
- You have experience with nonprofit fundraising or you demonstrate an interest and aptitude for this area of responsibility. In addition, you offer strong interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
- You are a self-starter who demonstrates high levels of initiative, organization, and accountability. You are flexible and effective whether working independently, leading teams, or collaborating with peers.
- You possess strong computer skills that allow you to comfortably navigate different platforms.
- Spanish language skills are preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience is required.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $110,000 – $125,000, commensurate with experience and skills. A benefits package is provided. This position is full-time, with some flexibility of starting date in summer or fall 2022.
During the summer months, the Executive Director is required to be on-site full-time. At other times, the expectation is that the Executive Director will be on-site part-time each week, with the flexibility to balance time at the Horizons at Saint David’s office, located at Saint David’s School, with the ability to work from home. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated candidate who prefers to set their own work schedule.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Horizons at Saint David’s is committed to equal employment opportunities for all individuals. The program will make all employment decisions for employees and applicants without unlawful discrimination as to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy, age, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity and expression, creed, genetic predisposition, being the victim of domestic violence, stalking or sex offenses, or any other basis protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, compensation, training and development, benefits, promotion, demotion, transfer, discipline or termination. All employees of Horizons at Saint David’s, regardless of position, are expected to maintain and live up to the true meaning of non-discrimination.