Teacher Financial Literacy Fellow
Intrepid College Prep is a growing network of public “no-excuses” college preparatory charter schools founded to address two interrelated achievement gaps – the academic achievement gap and intergenerational wealth gaps in the communities we serve. Our Blue Chip Team currently educates 375 students in grades 5-8 in Opportunity Academy (our 5-8 middle school). In 2017-2018, Intrepid College Prep launches Independence Academy (a 9-12 high school). A pioneer in financial literacy education, Intrepid College Prep achieves remarkable academic growth for all prepsters, especially English Language Learners. In 2015, Intrepid College Prep was named a Tennessee Reward School, placing it in the top 5% of schools in Tennessee for academic growth in all subjects.
We make three commitments to every student – admission to selective colleges, preparedness to engage the world as a financially literate young professional, and the cultivation of positive leadership skills.
The work is demanding – it is a tremendous investment of time, energy and smarts but the return on investment is extraordinarily high.
Teach Financial Literacy at Opportunity Academy
The Financial Literacy Fellowship provides a unique opportunity for talented individuals with limited or no teaching experience to explore the field of education and to gain hands-on practice and the training necessary to become a successful full-time classroom teacher while implementing an innovative case study curriculum to teach financial literacy in Grades 5-8. Financial Literacy Fellows have an opportunity to observe best practices in classroom instruction and education reform from experienced teachers and school leaders at a leading charter school in Nashville. Fellows observe and learn from Master Teachers while supporting students in the attainment of a strong financial literacy foundation that will equip them to excel in our Wharton School of Business Social Entreneurship curriculum in high school.
- Tennessee Certification in the appropriate content area (Business Education, 6-12) with track record of data driven achievement is a plus.
Financial Literacy Fellow Teacher Duties and Responsibilities
- Lay the foundation for the development of our Social Impact & Responsibility curriculum through the study of budgeting, saving, wealth creation and business startup.
- Develop content expertise and share the importance of social entrepreneurship and business fundamentals.
- Collaborate with leaders and teachers over expanded summer professional development to create rigorous,
standards-aligned curriculum including scope and sequence, long-term plan, unit plans.
- Collaborate weekly with leaders and teachers to develop interim, midterm, and final assessments
- Share teaching strategies, visit peer classrooms and analyze academic achievement data on a daily basis to develop best practice pedagogy
- Demonstrated experience or willingness to engage in a community where teaching is public (i.e. engaging in classroom visits, publication and critique of curriculum, observation and feedback cycles).
- Work with our ELL and Reading Specialists to support tremendous academic growth for ELL students and readers.
- Collaborate with Prepster Support Team weekly to develop a plan to meet the needs of all learners
- Serve as an Advisor for 10-12 students, including developing relationships with families, monitoring each student’s academic progress and fulfillment of requirements in the Pre-Collegiate Training program
- Availability to participate in after school and Saturday tutoring programs.
- Availability and willingness to engage in a limited number of evening/weekend student recruitment and parent outreach events
- Have structured planning time (minimum of 100 minutes) built into the school day to plan the highest quality lessons
Successful Financial Literacy Fellow candidates possess the following characteristics:
- Intelligent, committed, gritty educators ready for challenge and the dogged pursuit of academic excellence.
- Dedication to educational success for students of color and low-income youth
- Demonstrated evidence of the ability to reflect and articulate the lessons learned from past experience
- Demonstrated evidence of strong content knowledge in personal finance and health and wellness.
- Experience with or demonstrated desire in leading Socratic Seminars and utilizing the Harkness Method
- Demonstrated ability to formulate higher-order, open-ended questions to lead students in scholarly conversation
- Demonstrated ability to articulate the criteria for exemplary student work
- Demonstrated ability to help students overcome conceptual difficulties in a specific content area
- Demonstrated evidence of excellent classroom management skills and ability to cultivate a rigorous classroom climate
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required.
- Highest commitment to improving curriculum and instruction through collaboration, best practices, regular assessment and data analysis
- Effective communication skills with students, parents, and colleagues
- Holds a B.A./B.S. degree with a minimum G.P.A. of 3.0
- Degree in subject area intended to teach (preferred)
- Speaks Spanish or has experience working with bilingual students (preferred)
- Belief in and alignment with Intrepid College Prep’s core beliefs and educational philosophy are nonnegotiable.
This position is available now.
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies. Compensation is highly competitive; teachers are eligible to participate in the MNPS Retirement System.
Commitment to Diversity
Intrepid College Prep is an equal opportunity employer. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
How to ApplyClick here to complete the application. Note that this application screen does not require you to submit a video, although later stages of our process do so.
181 total views, 1 today