Teacher High School Computer Science Teacher
Why Teach With Us?
New Visions seeks the most talented and dedicated educators to bring their skills, experience, and energy to a collaborative and innovative learning environment where teachers are empowered to meet each student’s unique learning needs and open the doors to new and rich opportunities. Our teachers are dynamic and innovative pedagogues who are committed to urban students and the issues they face every day.
Every New Visions teacher can expect to receive enhanced instructional support, a range of professional development opportunities, the data tools they need to succeed and the opportunity to be part of a passionate team of colleagues.
Advantages of teaching at a New Visions school include:
- Emphasis on knowledge sharing practices, frequent training, and targeted professional development opportunities
- Eligibility to apply for grants and fellowships to support the personal and professional development of exceptional teachers
- Access to leadership development programs and career opportunities from the classroom to school administration to educational reform
- Highly competitive compensation and benefits
Each of our 10 Charter Schools offer a unique blend of mission, academic programs, extracurricular activities, and community and scholarly partnerships to ensure that students are thoroughly prepared to excel academically, professionally, and personally. We recommend that candidates explore our extraordinary school communities prior to application to discover the school that best aligns with your career goals and passions.
Who You Are
You’re a dedicated educator who is committed to serving students from all backgrounds. You approach learning via a growth mindset and have a proven track record of engaging students. You are reflective, seek and effectively apply feedback, and strive to learn from those around you. You make informed decisions about lesson planning based on data and have demonstrated success in tailoring instruction to the needs of diverse learners. You work collaboratively with others to achieve common goals and are passionate about the mission of New Visions.
What You’ll Do
Computer Science teachers at New Visions schools work with a diverse range of students to develop content knowledge and skills through exploration, observation, and hands-on application. Computer Science teachers at New Visions schools will:
- create lessons that help students to build practical skills that they will be able to carry directly into their lives and careers
- regularly analyze student results in order to differentiate classroom instruction and better serve student needs
- foster a classroom environment conducive to the intellectual and social development of students
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is required; Master’s degree is preferred
- A valid New York State Computer Science Certification
- There are limited opportunities for qualified teachers who do not possess a NY State certification to work in one of our Charter High Schools
- To learn more about NYS Certifications, visit: http://eservices.nysed.gov/teach/certhelp/CertRequirementHelp.do
- Proven track record for planning lessons with clear learning objectives and a means for assessing whether those objectives have been met
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated content knowledge and familiarity with Common Core State Standards
- Demonstrated success in tailoring instruction to the needs of diverse learners
- Ability to work collaboratively with others to achieve common goals
- Experience working with educational technology
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the employee.
Who We Are
At New Visions for Public Schools, we work to make great public schools common in New York City. We believe that all of New York City’s students deserve public schools that make successful futures possible, especially Black, Latinx, and low-income students who have historically had inequitable access to a great public education. Since 1989, New Visions has been a driving force behind some of the most significant reforms to public education in New York City. Today, our diverse team of professionals develop and scale innovative tools and approaches that help educators address common challenges. Learn more about New Visions HERE.
We operate ten public charter schools in the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens and, as a trusted partner of the NYC DOE, we help 1,600 public district schools plan for the success of over a million students citywide. In 2020-21, graduation rates in our Charter and Affinity networks were 95.4% and 89.2% and our support for postsecondary readiness has expanded exponentially.
Equal Employment Opportunity
New Visions for Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of New Visions that all employees and applicants for employment will be treated in all respects on the basis of their merit and qualifications and without regards to their race, color, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, religion, gender, military status, marital status, ancestry, or any other reason prohibited by law.
New Visions believes that our teams should reflect the diverse communities we serve and that our culture and internal structures should be inclusive and equitable for all employees. We also recognize that perspectives from communities that have been historically marginalized are critical to the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from individuals living in the communities that we serve or who are members of historically marginalized communities.
New Visions provides a comprehensive and competitive compensation and benefits package in addition to the opportunity to make a significant impact on education reform and in the lives of urban youth.