Teacher High School ESL Teacher
Intrepid College Prep is a growing network of free, open-enrollment, high-performing no excuses public schools committed to preparing prepsters to excel in selective colleges, earn professional opportunities, and graduate as financially literate professionals and positive leaders. Our Blue Chip Team currently educates nearly 500 students across two schools – Opportunity Academy, serving students in grades 5-8 and Independence Academy, serving students in grades 9-10 in 2018-2019.
A pioneer in financial literacy education, Intrepid College Prep achieves remarkable academic growth for all prepsters, especially English Language Learners. In 2017, our scholars were #1 in ELL Achievement in Math, #1 in Hispanic Achievement in Math, and #1 in African-American Achievement in Math. Intrepid was also #1 in composite growth among all middle and high schools in Nashville and in the top 1% in the state for growth during the 2016-2017 school year.
Our work grows prepsters academically, financially, and socially – providing the skill sets needed to be game changing leaders in every facet of the future. Intrepid alumni will transform college campuses and the work force, raising expectations for academic excellence, financial acumen and ethical leadership.
Teach English Language Learners at Intrepid College Prep
Among our student population, as few as one in ten students of color leaves an Antioch-area public elementary school prepared to succeed in a rigorous middle school due to a phenomenon known as the “fourth grade slump”. In fourth grade,
students transition from learning to read to reading to learn. Without this essential skill, students experience a precipitous academic decline.
Nationally, individuals and corporations seeking to profit from the school-to-prison pipeline look to third and fourth grade literacy rates to determine how much they can profit from criminalization in low-income and minority neighborhoods.
At Intrepid College Prep, we reverse this trend through ambitious goal-setting and exposure to numerous texts of increasing variety and complexity so that our prepsters become insightful and capable readers.
Duties & Responsibilities
The ELL Specialist provides direct instruction to students in need of a substantially separate English as a Second Language (ESL) course. A member of the Support Team, this individual reports to the Director of Academic Support, and supports the Instructional Leaders in helping content teams reach the range of learners in their classrooms.
- Advise teachers on modifying/accommodating curriculum for students in a pullout, ESL class.
- Teach a substantially separate ESL-class, based on caseload or provide inclusion support for English classes containing ELL students.
- Work specifically with ELL students during assigned periods of the day.
- Plan and teach the afterschool literacy program 4 days a week (Monday – Thursday) from 4:15-5:00 p.m.
- Manage the ELL program including, but not limited to: completing of necessary paperwork, training of teachers, management of parent and student communications, executing of student testing/screening, and upholding of general Department of Education compliance requests.
- Align student support services with the school’s mission and educational philosophy.
- Participate in generating and upholding Blue Chip staff norms.
- Serve as an advisor to 15-30 students throughout the year.
- Serve as a productive member of the Intrepid community.
- Other duties as assigned, including bus monitoring.
- A Bachelor’s degree required, 3.0 GPA; Master’s degree preferred;
- A minimum of two years of experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required;
- The ability to speak Spanish preferred but not required;
- A commitment to working with underserved, urban youth;
- An unwavering commitment to and belief in the mission of Intrepid College Prep, including Intrepid’s PRIDE and TEAM values and educational model;
- The ability to focus and thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment;
- The ability to work effectively in a team environment and the willingness and desire to support others in doing their best work; and An entrepreneurial spirit that reflects an openness to change, a willingness to problem-solve, and an interest in developing new ideas & programs.
The position begins July 2018.
We offer a generous compensation package. All staff members are equipped with the tools needed to succeed, including a dedicated work space, laptop computer, email, high-speed internet access, and all necessary supplies. Compensation is highly competitive; teachers are eligible to participate in the MNPS Retirement System.
Commitment to Diversity
Intrepid College Prep is an equal opportunity employer. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
How to ApplyClick here to complete the application. Note that this application screen does not require you to submit a video, although later stages of our process do so.
289 total views, 1 today