Principal or Vice Principal High School Principal
MANITOU SPRINGS SCHOOL DISTRICT 14
MANITOU SPRINGS COLORADO
PRINCIPAL – Manitou Springs High School
MANITOU SPRINGS HIGH SCHOOL
401 EL MONTE PLACE
MANITOU SPRINGS, CO 80829
Manitou Springs High School is an innovative, forward-thinking, award-winning school of nearly 425 students (46% of all students choice into Manitou Springs School District from surrounding communities) and 60 staff members. Manitou Springs High School is proud of our success in meeting the needs of every student. In addition to a challenging academic curriculum including Advanced Placement and Concurrent Enrollment course offerings, Manitou Springs High School offers comprehensive art, physical education, music, computer technology, Special Education, and Gifted/Talented instruction.
The culture of the school is positive, safe, kind, inclusive, and collaborative. We are looking for a new and fully committed leader to accentuate our outstanding and numerous attributes while leading us to become an even more effective, responsive and innovative school moving on into the next decade. Our high school is seeking a principal who can relate to students and help guide them on the journey of life.
Manitou Springs is a small, mountain community to the west of Colorado Springs, Colorado. This historical, tourist town is scenically beautiful and a perfect spot if you love the outdoors, where people know and care about each other. Manitou is a community where residents are long-term and support their local school district. It’s a terrific place that’s “big enough” but “not too big.”
https://manitousprings.org/. We are driven by our core values of Relationships, Deep Learning, and Opportunity as we serve our children and our communities.
- School leadership, including principal or assistant principal, experience required
(3 years preferred)
- High school experience preferred
- Demonstrated success as an instructional leader (professional development/ curricular/program development/instructional delivery/pedagogy)
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining a positive, proactive, safe and innovative climate for students and staff
- Demonstrated experience in leading innovative change
- Demonstrated experience in teambuilding (collaborative, kind, loyal)
- Demonstrated ability to communicate to all stakeholders in multiple ways
- Demonstrated ability to successfully lead a culturally responsive school
- Demonstrated success as leader who builds strong relationships with families
- Demonstrated ability to manage school finances and building facilities
- Demonstrated experience in leading and supporting athletics and activities through The Colorado High School Activities Association
We are looking for an individual who is (has):
- Exemplify instructional leadership that is able to maximize the school’s potential (e.g., music, experiential learning, athletics, arts integration, social-emotional learning.
- Consistently implements systems that support and honor the school’s and district’s goals, policies, and procedures, while also holding self to the same expectations
- Models open and transparent communication with respect, honesty, and integrity
- Models follow-through and a willingness to learn, unlearn, and relearn while leading towards a shared vision
- Knows each student by name and how to support the student and family
- Understands the history, traditions, and uniqueness of Manitou Springs and the Ute Pass community
- Coordinates and collaborates to grow vertical alignment strategies by building strong relationships across all schools and families
- Welcomes, grows, and sustains parent involvement with the Parent Action Committee in partnership with school staff and parents
- Embodies genuine and authentic leadership that leads to trust and the empowerment of others
- Forward-thinking leader who has the ability to innovate and lead others to innovate
- Supports and leads a safe environment where all students achieve their potential and beyond and where social and emotional learning is embedded in all aspects of the school
- Demonstrates excellent use of time and resources—focusing all members and leading and managing in a very effective manner
- Develops, in collaboration with staff and students, a strong plan of student engagement, restorative practices, and accountability for actions/decisions that honors the developmental stages of elementary school-aged students
- Maintains an empowering place where students are free to explore their authentic-self, intellectual interests, and passions for learning and doing while being held to a high standard of respect and responsibility
- Leads and supports staff by providing opportunities for growth and development
- Fosters a positive school climate where all students and staff are healthy, hopeful, engaged, encouraged and celebrated
- Coordinates with the Ute Pass BOCES Director, 504 Coordinator, and Assistant Superintendent to ensure proper support for students with specific educational plans and needs (i.e., Individualized Education Plans, Advanced Learning Plans, 504 Plans, English Learning Plans)
- Supervises the registration, placement, evaluation and progress reporting of students
- Collaborates with school staff to develop a multi-tiered system of support (both academic and social-emotional/affective)
- Coordinates a balanced approach to integrating technology for the purpose of learning and collaborating while maintaining a safe and positive school culture
- Exercises decisive leadership in crisis situations
- Works with the Director of Technology, the Director of Student Success and the Director of Arts Integration and Community Wellness to support student and family needs
- Remains current about changes and developments in the field of education
- Provides leadership and direction for the development and implementation of the building-level improvement plan that aligns to the district-wide plan
- Provides leadership for the implementation of the district-wide strategic plan.
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT:
August 2020 – June 2021 (200-day contract)
Please see Administrator Salary Range on Salary Schedule
(on District Website)
Please submit an online application packet
July 13, 2020
July 27, 2020: 4:00PM
July 29, 2020
August 3, 2020
Please include your responses to the three essay questions as part of your application packet.
Limit your response to 400-500 words per question.
Why do you want to serve as the leader of Manitou Springs High School? Describe one significant way you engaged a school community that you have led.
What do you consider to be “success” in educating high school children? Describe a specific example of how you led successfully.
What does it mean to you to prepare students for a future that is yet to be imagined? What are three concrete steps you, as a leader of students and staff, would take to make this idea come to life?
Manitou Springs School District 14 is an equal opportunity educational institution and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, sex (which includes marital status), sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information or conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth in its activities, programs or employment practices as required by Title VI, Title I, and Section 504. For information regarding civil rights or grievance procedures, contact Dr. Elizabeth Domangue, Superintendent of Schools, Manitou Springs School District 14, 405 El Monte Pl., Manitou Springs, CO 80829, (719) 685-2024, firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Office of Civil Rights, U.S Dept of Education, 1961 Stout Street, Denver, CO 80294, (303) 844-2991.