Instructional Support High School Special Education Teacher (ICT/SETSS) 2023 -2024 School Year
Beginning with Children
Beginning with Children (BwC) is a Brooklyn based school management organization founded by school reform leaders Joe and Carol Reich over 20 years ago on a deep belief in the power of education. BwC supports two New York City Public Charter Schools and an alumni and college success program that provides education and academic supports for students from Pre-K to college.
Our schools, Beginning with Children Charter School 2 and Community Partnership Charter School, are located in Bedford Stuyvesant, Clinton Hill and Williamsburg where approximately 90% of our families qualify for free/reduced lunch. Our hard-working families face high rates of low-wage employment, and find it increasingly difficult to break the cycle of poverty and continuing injustice which plague these neighborhoods. At BwC we know that academic success and college completion have proven to be the most effective way to promote social and economic mobility. We are committed to creating strong centers of learning that transform the lives of students and families and revitalize communities.
Beginning with Children continues to post-secondary and college success through its alumni program, the Legacy Network. The success of BwC Scholars is the product of caring, committed and talented educators who work collaboratively with families to meet the needs of our students. As we continue to develop our Professional Learning Community we invite talented and innovative educators to join us in our mission to provide quality instruction to every child in every classroom.
Beginning with Children schools empower scholars to meet high academic standards throughout their education and embrace a set of core values that are essential to success in life. Our graduates will be independent thinkers who are committed to succeeding in college preparatory programs and becoming active and engaged citizens in their communities.
Community High School
Beginning with Children’s Community High School will open in summer 2022 and will provide a robust year-round academic and enrichment program that will teach students to creatively solve complex problems and explore and develop their own special talents through learning opportunities in and outside of the classroom. We are a school whose intent is to create a learning environment – shaped and supported by the living lab that is our city – that will give our students the tools that they need to reach their goals and have successful, rich lives. Our program will include comprehensive college and career advisory services that will help our students succeed in top performing colleges and professional careers.
- High School Special Education Teacher (ICT/SETSS)
- With the support of the leadership team, will design and lead year-long core courses, aligned to Regents standards, in teacher’s academic discipline.
- Will design courses, utilizing a blend of in-person and remote modes, to provide students with rich opportunities for practice and application of the subject-area knowledge they acquire.
- Will design elective and/or enrichment courses.
- Will lead an advisory group support students’ academic success, socio-emotional development and post-secondary planning
- Will work with students at the start of the academic school year to compile a robust assessment portfolio to set goals, measure progress and customize learning experiences.
- Will hold regular office hours for students and will collaborate with other instructional team members to provide additional support to students with special education or language needs.
- Collaborate with leadership to implement the School’s mission and goals
- Participate in the implementation of systems to assess student achievement.
- Model the school’s mission, values and standards for professional behavior.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
- New York State certification (preferred)
- Strong writing, presentation and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse constituencies, including students, parents, trustees, BwC representatives, community members, and donors.
- Understand the nuances of urban school environments and school culture.
- Secondary school experience
- Master’s degree
- Minimum 1 year teaching experience.
- Experience teaching/co-teaching math/science
- Bilingual (Spanish) a plus.
The successful candidate will be:
- Excited by the challenge of founding a new school.
- Excited by a non-traditional school calendar and schedule. Our program distributes learning across the calendar year. Our staff and student day is from 9:00 to 5:00.
- Passionate about providing high quality education to students in an underserved urban community.
- Relentless in his/her drive to improve the minds and lives of the students in and out of school.
- Humble, reflective and willing to continually improve.
- A teacher with maturity, confidence, wisdom and collaborative skills necessary to garner the trust and confidence of board members, faculty, staff, students, parents, and others within the school community.
- An individual with a high level of integrity and work ethic who can inspire through example.
- An individual who promotes consistent standards of excellence in teaching and learning throughout the school.
- Experience teaching Advanced Placement or college-level courses.
- Experience teaching/leading in a project-based or portfolio-oriented school.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $61,500.00 – $96,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Language: English (Preferred)
License/Certification: Teaching Certification (Preferred)
Work Location: In person