Teacher Humanities Teacher, Upper Division (Grades 6-8)
Position: Humanities Teacher, Upper Division (Grades 6-8)
Location: New York, NY
Start: August 2018
Why Teach at Avenues?
There is no place quite like Avenues. We are a top-tier school in New York City that offers a truly global education, one that will expand to the world’s leading cities in the next decades. Our faculty bring widely diverse experiences, but we are all committed to creating a unique educational experience together. We foster a culture of creativity, entrepreneurship, and deep collaboration. We teach and learn through challenging interdisciplinary projects. And we offer unparalleled possibilities for professional learning prospects around the globe.
Deep Collaboration and Constant Evolution
Collaboration isn’t a buzzword here–it’s woven into everything we do. We have built substantial time to collaborate into our schedule. Teacher teams across multiple disciplines design learning experiences for a whole grade level. This intensity of collaboration is challenging as well as exciting: we’re always evolving, learning from each other, and seeking to improve.
What You’ll Do
Humanities teachers guide students to become informed, skilled, and empathic agents of change. We introduce students to key civilizations, movements, and forces that have shaped our past, and we help them explore the great issues and challenges facing our local and global communities today. Through a range of approaches–including historical thinking skills, exploring works of art and literature, design thinking, and project-based work across multiple disciplines–we equip students with the knowledge, skills, and dispositions to make a difference in the world.
More broadly, all teachers at Avenues:
- ensure students achieve key learning outcomes
- collaboratively plan discipline-based and interdisciplinary curriculum using backwards design
- co-construct with students an engages, high-standards, welcoming and safe classroom environment
- practice cultural competence in the classroom and workplace
- inspire trust and confidence among guardians and families through regular, proactive communication
- contribute to the broader community of our NYC campus and global network
What You’ll Bring
- An exemplary track record of student learning in your past teaching
- strong content knowledge in one or more relevant fields, such as literacy, social studies, history or geography
- experience with, or interest in, interdisciplinary, project-based teaching
- intellectual curiosity and the humility to reflect on, and continually grow in, your teaching practice
- commitment to creating a culture of equity and inclusion
- a strong sense of personal responsibility for the success of every student
How to ApplyApply through the Careers section of the Avenues website (http://www.avenues.org/en/careers/). Avenues is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to diversity among our staff. Applicants of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
133 total views, 2 today