Instructional Support Instructional Coach
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND POSITION OVERVIEW
Global Community Charter School (GCCS) is a Harlem-based International Baccalaureate (IB) World School that is innovative, inquiry-based, culturally competent, and provides students with a comprehensive and rigorous curriculum that encourages critical and creative thinking.
The Instructional Coach, with both content and instructional expertise, will work as a colleague with classroom teachers to improve student achievement and teacher practice. This position is responsible for providing coaching, co-teaching, and professional development will focus on individual and group learning. In order to meet this purpose, the Instructional Coach will provide personalized, one-on-one support based on the identified needs of individual teachers to develop strategies to support struggling students.
- Performs lesson observations and provides specific and actionable feedback for improvement
- Helps develop and review lesson plans and provides other curricular guidance as needed
- Models instructional excellence through classroom lesson planning and delivery as appropriate that aligns curriculum and assessment best practices
- Assists with the development, review and implementation of curriculum, instruction, and assessments
- Assists teachers and academic team members with analysis of reading, writing, math and other types of assessment results
- Reviews students’ data with teachers to create actionable steps for classroom instruction
- Works with the Academic Leaders, Special Education Coordinator, Interventionists and classroom teachers to determine the most appropriate intervention for at-risk students
- Creates and delivers professional development to teachers and staff on an as needed basis throughout the course of the year, at least one half day each month
- Creates individualized improvement plans for struggling teachers and monitoring progress towards clear goals
- Evaluate academic achievement and progress towards school wide goals through detailed data analysis of student performance on a wide variety of metrics; Lead and support teachers in using the student data collected to drive instruction and intervention
- Serves as a coach to individual and teams to determine intervention strategies as appropriate.
- Works with the Academic Leaders to identify professional development (PD) activities and training that is related to academic goals and school improvement plans
- Facilitates and/or present professional development activities with staff and teachers as needed
- Assists in the planning of professional development activities and other in-service program training to help raise the level of instructional performance
- Collaborates with teachers to find real solutions to challenges faced in the classroom, using data to drive decision making
- Provides recommendations for school-wide professional development based on the instructional needs of teachers
- Maintains open communication and positive relationships with staff, teachers and academic leadership team members.
- The Coach does not evaluate teachers but will work with them to build upon their strengths in improving instruction.
- Model, promote and embody the International Baccalaureate learner profile to create a cohesive school culture of academic success and family
COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE
- Highly Competitive Salary
- Options for 100% Employer paid; Medical, Dental, Vision FSA/HSA/PPO plans
- Dependent care FSA & Pre-tax commuter benefits
- 100 % Employer paid Term life and disability insurance
- Tuition reimbursement options
- Gym reimbursement
- PTO, Paid Parental Leave Child care leave, and other leave benefits
- 403B with GCCS match
- Employee Assistance Program
- Health stipend if covered on a partner/spouse’s plan
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is a must.
- A M.A., Ed.M or Master’s degree in education preferred.
- New York State Certification for relevant grades or demonstrated process towards obtaining certification
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated success as a full-time elementary classroom teacher.
- Excellent communication, presentation, facilitation and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships with a diverse staff
- Demonstrated success working in a high-performing, urban school setting preferred.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching through continuous learning and data analysis
- Strong knowledge of IB-PYP curriculum preferred
- Formal experience mentoring teachers in effective literacy and math instruction and assessment strategies
- Knowledge of reading, writing, and math curriculum, subject matter and development
- Ability to connect and build positive relationships with teachers and staff
- Be a team player – a desire to work in a team-oriented environment and collaborate effectively with colleagues
- Dedication to GCCS’ mission