Teacher K-1-2 Learning Specialist
Learning Specialist Teaching Opportunity at the Stanley British Primary School
Opening: Kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd Grade Learning Specialist
Full-time position to begin August 2021
About Stanley BPS: For over 45 years, Stanley classrooms have been filled with engaged learners and guided by inspired teachers. We carefully blend an academic program grounded in a whole-child approach with an attention to each child’s social/emotional development. Our British Primary philosophy promotes the simple notion that when students enjoy what they’re doing and take an active role in their education, learning truly becomes a joy and a lifelong endeavor. SBPS is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive school community. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Inspiring and educating children to develop to their full potential
- Creating a safe, supportive, mutually respectful classroom community which values the distinct contributions, background, and abilities of each child
- Providing exceptional instruction focused on meeting the needs of diverse learners consistent with current evidence-based educational practices.
- Developing, planning, and implementing individualized Learning Support Plans (I.E.P.s)
- Working in the classroom and as part of a team to support children’s needs
- Meeting on a regular basis with classroom teachers to discuss children, their progress, and how best to create an inclusive classroom community
- Participating in trans-disciplinary Child Support Meetings (speech, O.T, tutors, Psychologist Consultant, classroom teacher, Head of 3-4-5, and others, as necessary.)
- Meeting with parents on a regular basis, and as needed, to reflect on their child’s progress and make necessary changes to goals and plans
Desired Qualifications and Background Experience:
- A deep enjoyment in working with, honoring, and valuing each individual child.
- A commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as a core value in the classroom and within the school community
- An appreciation for the British Primary philosophy including the Seven Goals for Learners of self-awareness, collaboration, curiosity, perseverance, academic resourcefulness, and joyful, life-long learning
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Flexibility, and the ability to manage details and follow-through
- Collaboration skills that support our inclusion model for student support
- Teaching experience, preferably at least five years, and preferably in K-5 classrooms
- Experience adapting and modifying curriculum, and meeting the needs of diverse learners
- Ability to interpret and communicate about assessments and comprehensive evaluations
- Background in Special Education, ideally a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Special Education or related field.
- A commitment to improving one’s craft and growing professionally, modeling the joyful, lifelong learning we seek to impart to our students.
- An inclusive and diverse community
- Lifelong learning
- Positive and constructive communication
- Creativity, flexibility, and resourcefulness
- An understanding of children and childhood
- Commitment to making a positive difference in the world
Equal Opportunity Employer
Stanley BPS is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of Stanley BPS, including admissions, employment, and access to services and programs.