This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
9 Nov 2017
Research and Policy Manager of Education Policy
Overview of the Organization
The New York Immigration Coalition (NYIC) is an umbrella policy and advocacy organization for nearly 200 groups in New York State. We envision a New York state that is stronger because all people are welcome, treated fairly, and given the chance to pursue their dreams. Our mission is to unite immigrants, members, & allies so all New Yorkers can thrive. We represent the collective interests of New York’s diverse immigrant communities and organizations and devise solutions to advance them; advocate for laws, policies, and programs that lead to justice and opportunity for all immigrant groups; and build the power of immigrants and the organizations that serve them to ensure their sustainability, to improve people’s lives, and to strengthen our state.
Our organizational values: Inclusive & Representative; Fair & Just; Accountable & Trusted.
The Manager of Education Policy works closely with the Director of Education Policy to identify barriers immigrant New Yorkers face in accessing a quality education, devising policy solutions, and working with officials to secure implementation of recommendations. The Manager will play a key role in conducting policy analysis, developing policy materials, and in representing the education program with officials, allies, and through coalitions.
- Leads policy analysis on education issues affecting immigrant communities (from Early Childhood through K-16 and including Adult Education).
- Manages the Education program’s legislative and administrative priorities and works closely with members and allies to identify key issues for New York State’s immigrant students.
- Coordinates and leads the NYIC’s Education Collaborative, a cohort of the NYIC’s community-based, member organizations focused on education policy and advocacy goals
- Represents the NYIC as a spokesperson and fields requests to support media, provide testimony as required, and represent the NYIC in key meetings with high-level officials.
- Develops and manages relationships with partners and allies involved in policy and advocacy work and identifies relevant new groups to bring into NYIC work.
- Supports fundraising efforts through grant research, proposal writing, and grant reporting through data collection and preparing drafts of narratives.
- Required, three (3) to five (5) years of relevant experience in education policy analysis, focus on immigrant communities strongly preferred.
- Experience with advocacy and lobbying in New York City and New York State, a plus.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and competing priorities and strategize in rapidly changing political environment.
- Strong communication skill.
- Experience working with broad and diverse populations a plus.
- Working knowledge of another language – Spanish or another of the top 6 languages spoken in New York State – strongly desired.
How to Apply
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and a writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line: Manager of Education. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are looking for someone to begin as soon as possible.
90 total views, 1 today