Marketing and Communications Managing Director of External Affairs
About KIPP Colorado:
KIPP Colorado Schools is part of the national KIPP network of tuition-free, open enrollment college-preparatory public charter schools dedicated to preparing students from underserved communities for success in college and life. We are a network of six high-performing, college-preparatory public charter schools that educate students from ECE through 12th grade. We currently serve two communities within Denver; the Northeast and Southwest. Both communities serve students in elementary, middle and high school.
Every child grows up free to create the future they want for themselves and their communities.
Together with families and communities, we create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose —college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
The Managing Director of External Affairs will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer and will directly oversee four functions, including the teams responsible for advocacy and community engagement; marketing, communications and branding; and development and fundraising. The Managing Director (MD) of External Affairs will have a critical voice in continuing to build KIPP Colorado brand and impact in the region, provide clear, actionable thought leadership around our external relations and advancement strategies, and oversee successful implementation of these critical aspects of our work.
The MD of External Relations will be a key leader within the senior leadership team in executing on the current strategic plan and established goals. In partnership with the CEO and alongside an engaged and active board, the MD, External Relations will drive the overall external relations strategy for KIPP Colorado Schools. They will play a critical role in amplifying and guiding the overall branding and messaging for the organization, and will proactively build strong relationships with the community, elected officials, media outlets, and peer organizations. This leader will have the capability to successfully navigate Denver’s political and cultural nuances, and will have a sophisticated ability to plan proactively for long-term success. In addition this leader will ensure the development program builds its capacity to support the organization’s strategic objectives.
Management and Leadership (30%) →
- Manage direct reports who are responsible for community engagement, advocacy, communications, marketing, and development; providing leadership for the vision, goals and strategy for key organizational priorities and areas of focus, establishing clear expectations, promoting rigorous use of data and fostering a culture of accountability.
- Hold high standards for project management while empowering others to proactively and creatively problem-solve, and model versatility and collaboration for the organization.
- Serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team
- Serve as the key liaison to KIPP Foundation for all external affairs needs
Community Engagement; Advocacy and Partnerships (30%) →
- Oversee the Advocacy and Community Engagement team; driving all elements of the work to envision, create, build, implement, and execute KIPP Colorado Schools efforts to extend impact beyond the walls of its schools.
- Expand KIPP Colorado’s Schools voice, influence and impact on key issues facing the communities we serve
- Lead and enthusiastically build relationships with Denver’s major stakeholders and constituencies, including the media, community groups, elected officials, community leaders and other influencers.
- Identify opportunities and develop ways to strategically maximize collaboration and coordination with external partners.
- Represent KIPP Colorado Schools community and the broader organization as an ambassador, advocate, and partner within public forums and events.
- Proactively engage with current and potential KIPP Colorado families and communities, as critical advocates and ambassadors for KIPP Colorado Schools.
- Create and oversee strategy, programs and services aimed towards increased parent and community engagement; and strengthen the partnership among parents, community and schools to improve student academic achievement and school success.
- Ensure the success of our long-term partnerships strategy to benefit our students, schools, and alumni.
- Oversee corporate engagement strategy and partnerships with youth-serving organizations to support career readiness initiatives, after-school programming, enrichment opportunities, and strong community ties.
- Identify and anticipate internal organizational needs and mobilize third-party partners to even more effectively support our students.
Marketing & Communications (20%) →
- In overseeing Marketing and Communications, provide guidance on messaging, talking points, and strategy for all organizational communications, striving to build a stronger KIPP Colorado Schools brand and ensure its seamless integration throughout the organization.
- Provide guidance for tracking, metrics and data integrity to ensure alignment and effectiveness of overall marketing and communications efforts alongside overall KIPP Colorado
- Oversee the Manager of Marketing and Communications in the development and execution of the overall marketing and communications plan for KIPP Colorado Schools, in support of organizational goals to build awareness, engagement and support.
- Provide thought partnership and guidance to the CEO in cultivating a meaningful and productive media and external engagement strategy; assess and strategize responses to all incoming media requests, and communicate with relevant media as a spokesperson when appropriate.
Development (20%) →
- Leads fundraising strategy to meet annual revenue goals, fulfill growth and capital needs, and build long-term financial sustainability for the organization
- Establishes vision for KIPP Colorado Schools engagement with donors, community members, families and other stakeholders, and leads KIPP Colorado in representing the organization’s mission to the broader community.
- Stewards the board of directors and philanthropic investors to secure substantial, long-term financial commitments
- Oversees the Development Manager responsible for stewarding current donors and foundation relations, leading events and event planning, and supervising production of grant reports, prospect reports and other measures.
- Lead engagement of the members of the Board’s external efforts, including giving, convening, and outreach to potential community and family advocates, champions and future trustees.
- Strong Commitment to the belief that all students can learn and to the mission of anti-racist, educational equity required
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 7 years of work experience with 3 years of supervisory and management experience, preferably in a large, dynamic, mission-driven organization
- Experience in fundraising or communications, marketing, and public relations, preferably in a non-profit environment with a fundraising budget of $2.5 – $5 million.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrated ability to lead multiple high-profile and complex projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop productive working relationships with diverse individuals and groups
- Proven management skills in establishing a team- and goal-oriented environment that empowers staff through active communication and delegation and that builds confidence, promotes diversity of thought, and celebrates achievements. An approach to management that leads by example, bringing out the best in staff and yielding pride, ownership, and a sense of team effort.
- Ability to exercise excellent judgment in decision-making, think strategically, work
collaboratively, and gather and analyze data, compile information, and prepare reports
- Proficient in MS Office, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to motivate, excite, and educate both internal and external resources to support our work in helping our KIPP students persist to and through college
- Ability to manage the ambiguity and multiple priorities inherent in an entrepreneurial environment
- Strong work ethic coupled with an enthusiastic and passionate approach to one’s work
This position is open for an immediate start date. Compensation is competitive and is negotiable based on experience. Employee benefits include medical, dental, participation in PERA, and a paid time-off package.
KIPP Colorado Schools is dedicated to equal employment opportunities and fair labor practices. KIPP Colorado Schools, KIPP Denver Collegiate High School, KIPP Northeast Denver Middle School, KIPP Northeast Elementary, KIPP Northeast Denver Leadership Academy, KIPP Sunshine Peak Academy and KIPP Sunshine Peak Elementary provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals based on job-related qualifications, and the ability to perform a job without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religious creed, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, legally protected medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or on any other basis made unlawful by federal, state or local laws. It is our policy to maintain a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment or bias based upon these grounds.