Instructional Support Math and Data Coach
Role: Math & Data Coach
The Urban Assembly (UA) is a non-profit organization providing leadership and programmatic support to unique, small public secondary schools in high-need neighborhoods in NYC. UA schools are open to all students and our goal is to prepare 100% of UA graduates for success in the 21st century economy.
Background on the UA Academics Team:
The Academics team supports 22 Urban Assembly schools in meeting benchmark academic goals around credit accumulation, college readiness, and graduation. We do so through programmatic support in math, literacy and data management. Through our efforts supporting our wonderful schools, our class of 2018 has a graduation rate of 81.7%, 6 points higher than the citywide average. We are a learning organization, and the Academics team collaborates to hone our coaching skills and delivery of professional learning and collects and uses data to inform the development and refinement of our existing programs.
We are looking for a math and data rockstar! Our ideal candidate is driven, passionate and a force for positive change in the world. This role calls for a person deeply committed to UA’s mission and vision, with skill sets in coaching, data-driven decision making, and middle and high school mathematic pedagogy and content expertise. The Math and Data Coach will provide coaching support to a caseload of schools in both our Algebra Success program and our data coaching program. On average, 70% of the week will be spent in the field coaching, and 30% will be in UA’s central office in Manhattan’s financial district. The Math & Data Coach reports directly to the Director of Academic Programming.
- Establish and maintain relationships across a portfolio of 8-12 schools to coach in math and data-driven decision making
- Maintain excellent records on coaching visits and follow up with schools in a timely fashion
- Collect and analyze data to determine the impact of coaching and professional learning
- Manage projects and responsibilities with independence
- Collaborate with the UA team to ensure alignment with organizational goals
- Support schools to implement network-wide benchmark assessments and analyze the results to inform classroom practice
- Develop and lead professional development sessions
- 3-5 years of teaching and/or coaching experience at the secondary level required, familiarity with a large urban school system preferred
- Content and pedagogy expertise in middle and high school mathematics
- Strong fluency with using data to support decision making
- Commitment to the organization’s mission and vision
- Track record of improving outcomes for students, preferably at the middle school and/or high school level
- Fluency in collaborative systems and team orientation
- Flexibility and adaptability as a general strength; we are an organization that adjusts as often as our schools and students need us to
- Time management and organizational skills
- Able to have your office be where your laptop is, UA coaches travel all around the city and have to work nimbly
Former NYCDOE staff and/or Urban Assembly alum are encouraged to apply!
Salary is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package, including: employer-funded healthcare, a monthly metrocard, phone stipend, financial support for professional development, and generous vacation time.
Our target start date is July 1, 2019.
What to expect after applying: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates selected to move forward in the process will be invited to a phone screening, followed by an in-person interview and then a coaching demo.