Teacher Math Interventionist – Awbury Campus
Wissahickon Charter School is seeking a Math Interventionist for our Awbury campus. Interventionists are responsible for supporting student achievement across grades K-8 in math. The Interventionists will provide small group or one-on-one instruction to students identified as needing additional academic support in order to meet grade level proficiency benchmarks. This position is also responsible for monitoring, reporting, and communicating student progress and performance. Because this is a newly created position on our team and many of our students and staff will be returning to the building for in-person instruction for the first time since March of 2020, Interventionists must be willing to be flexible in order to meet the most pressing needs of our students, and should be open to the position evolving over time. Candidates who have recently graduated from teacher education programs are strongly encouraged to apply. This is a two-year position that reports to the site-based Principals. This position provides invaluable teaching experience and professional development, and is great preparation for becoming a lead teacher in the future.
- Provides targeted math instruction to individual students and small groups
- Uses data to provide instruction to students and to work to bring their skills to grade-level
- Works to build a close rapport with students
- Uses identified research-based interventions focused specifically on individual student needs
- Maintains documentation of continuous monitoring of student performance and progress
- Communicates with the literacy or math program coordinator, teachers, administration, and families regarding student progress, and may be asked to participate in meetings to discuss this information
- Provides assessments for students as needed
- Provides input for program development
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Strong content knowledge and skill in math
- Knowledge of Bridges math and/or Open Up a plus for math
- Experience working with students in grades K-8, in an urban school setting preferred
- All required FBI & PA clearances and compliance with all of WCS’ COVID-19 safety protocols
- Reflective and open to feedback and coaching
- Appreciation of the challenges for students returning to in-person instruction after a potentially traumatic time during the pandemic
- Ability to work with a variety of colleagues who have diverse teaching and organizational styles
- Willingness to speak openly and honestly about issues of race and equity and to work to dismantle white supremacist culture
- Interest in the mission of Wissahickon Charter School, and a belief that all children can learn
This is a full time, 10-month position with 100% employer-paid benefits (medical, dental and vision) for the employee and any spouse or dependents. This position is funded by federal pandemic relief funds that will expire at the end of the 2022-2023 school year. While the hope is to make this a permanent position, WCS cannot commit to the position beyond that date at this time.
About Wissahickon Charter School
Wissahickon Charter School’s first campus, Fernhill, opened in 2002 and serves 480 K-8 students from across Philadelphia. Our second K-8 campus, Awbury, opened in the fall of 2014. The mission of Wissahickon Charter School (WCS) is to provide a community of learning that stimulates and builds the child’s intellectual, social, and character development. Wissahickon Charter Schools are planned around three essential elements: an environmental focus that allows students to experience the curriculum, recognition of service learning projects as key in students’ success, and an emphasis on parents as partners in the learning experiences of their children.