Instructional Support Math Program Manager
The Urban Assembly
The Urban Assembly (UA) is a non-profit provider of school support solutions that boost school and student performance. Under the mission of advancing students’ social and economic mobility by improving public education, the UA provides schools and districts with innovative data-driven, student-centered approaches to academics, social-emotional learning, and postsecondary readiness. The (UA) founded a network of unique, small public secondary schools throughout NYC. UA schools are open to all students, and our goal is to prepare 100% of UA graduates for success in the 21st century economy.
The UA’s Commitment to Equity
The UA values the uniqueness that each student brings into our schools, and our work honors the various social and cultural contexts from which they come. We acknowledge the historical barriers created by education systems to perpetuate the social inequities that keep students of color from accessing postsecondary and career opportunities – and commit to dismantling these barriers.
This role calls for a person deeply committed to UA’s mission and commitment to equity. The Math Program Manager will lead the deployment of our highly successful Algebra Success program, which includes refining and maintaining the programmatic resources (curriculum, tools, etc.), coaching, and leading professional learning. In addition, they will lead a broader expansion of the program, both outside of our network of schools and in expanding the middle school Algebra pilot which took place in the 2019-2020 school year. The ideal candidate has strong project management skills, is an excellent coach, and is relentless in improving student outcomes through data-driven analysis. This role calls for an agile contributor, who can split their time coaching at school sites, leading professional development (virtually and in person), and collaborating with teammates at our central office in downtown Manhattan and remotely.
- Refine and iterate on our Algebra Success programming to support achievement in our portfolio of high schools
- Adapt and codify Algebra Success programming for clients outside of our NYC network of schools
- Adapt and codify the middle school model for Algebra Success
- Establish and maintain relationships across a portfolio of 8-12 schools to coach in the Algebra Success model
- Maintain excellent records on coaching and follow up with schools in a timely fashion
- Lead the revision and refinement of the curriculum in high school Algebra content
- Collect and analyze data to determine the impact of coaching and professional learning
- Lead the implementation of network-wide benchmark assessments for Algebra and analyze the results to inform classroom practice
- Lead monthly virtual professional development sessions
- Manage projects and responsibilities across multiple initiatives with independence
- Monitor the impact of work through network metrics and adjust programmatic inputs based on data and feedback
- Collaborate with Academics team in developing and implementing cross-functional professional development opportunities
- Collaborate with the UA team to ensure alignment with organizational goals, and manage program specific assessments for participating schools
- 5+ years of coaching experience, and/or equivalent adult development work
- Content and pedagogy expertise in middle and high school mathematics
- Strong fluency with using data to support decision making
- Commitment to The Urban Assembly mission and vision
- Track record of improving outcomes for students
- Fluency in collaborative systems and team orientation
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Time management and organizational skills
- Familiarity with a large urban school system preferred
Salary is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package, including: employer-funded healthcare, a monthly metrocard, phone stipend, financial support for professional development, and generous vacation time.
Our target start date is September 7, 2021