Principal or Vice Principal Middle School Assistant Principal
School in the Square (S2) , an independent charter school in Washington Heights, integrates the core values of democratic living with best practice teaching and learning, ensuring that each child and educator feels known, heard, and safe as well as challenged, supported, and engaged. S2 opened in September 2016 as a 6-8 middle school, and will graduate our first group of 8th graders in June, 2019. We now need a dedicated, mission aligned Assistant Principal to help lead the Middle School.
The Assistant Principal should:
- Respect children and committed to working towards equity for all,
- Cultivate collegial relationships through open dialogue, collaboration and sharing of effective practices,
- Adapt to the shifting needs of this rapidly expanding organization.
We are hiring an Assistant Principal of our Middle School: The successful candidate will be a proven leader with a commitment to S2’s mission. This individual will be an exceptional manager, motivating leader, and a strong relationship builder. The assistant principal will promote an environment that is safe and conducive to individualized instruction, student voice and student learning. Reporting to the principal, the assistant principal’s responsibilities will include:
- Develop a system of supervision for morning arrival and afternoon dismissal and oversee its implementation;
- Develop a system for supervision of dining hall (breakfast and lunch) and oversee its implementation;
- Promote strong community behaviors in hallways, dining hall, etc;
- Work closely with Dean of Culture;
- Organize Senior Trip, Prom, Graduation.
- Work in collaboration with Principal, Director of Data and SPED Chair to analyze data on an on-going basis.
- Develop a quarterly grade report to inform the roster of students who require mandatory study hall, identify students whose parents need notification, etc.
- Work with SEL team to follow attendance with rapid parental follow-up.
- Organize Test Preparation groups weekdays and Saturdays;
- Insure that teachers have appropriate instructional materials for test prep groups;
- Monitor attendance for test prep;
- Work in collaboration with SPED Chair to maintain and organize schoolwide listing and implementation plan for all testing modifications;
- Organize all school wide testing days
- MAP/Interim assessments
- State Testing
- Collect and organize all NYS state exams.
- Support the principal to design the master schedule,
- Work with data teams to organize quarterly adjustments in student schedules
- Study Hall
- Maintain study hall attendance and communicate with parents weekly on any concerns;
- Maintain communication with teachers about study hall.
Other School-wide Responsibilities
- Formal evaluations;
- Consistent with the belief that all staff should have meaningful engagement with students, there will be an instructional role consistent with background, i.e., one book club, one math small group, restorative circle.
The Assistant Principal should be someone who:
- Holds a Master’s Degree in Education
- Has a minimum of five years of successful classroom teaching
- New York State Certification
- Has minimum of two years of previous experience in leadership
- Is bilingual spoken and written preferred but not required
- Exhibits the ability to work well with a team
- Demonstrates an ambition and desire to grow as a leader
Compensation and Benefits:
In addition to meaningful and rewarding work, S2 provides an excellent compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, life & long-term disability insurance, a 403(b)
How to ApplyVisit our website and apply online.
489 total views, 1 today