Teacher Middle School ELA Teacher
The Mission Preparatory School, a TK-8, college-preparatory, tuition-free, public charter school in San Francisco’s Mission District, is accepting applications for the role of Middle School ELA Teacher for the 2020-21 school year.
The Mission Preparatory School equips TK-8 students with the knowledge, skills, and strength of character needed to succeed in college and serve as leaders in their communities. Our commitment to college preparation is supported by a “whatever-it-takes” approach that maintains the highest expectations and accountability across the board, from leadership, to teachers, to students.
Mission Prep was founded by a diverse group of Bay Area leaders from a variety of sectors who share a commitment to expanding educational opportunity, particularly for children growing up in low-income communities who lack access to high-performing schools. Awarded a charter by the California State Board of Education in September 2010, Mission Prep opened with 50 Kindergarten students in August 2011, earned charter renewal from SFUSD in 2015, and continued to grow by one grade per year through 8t h grade. In our 10th operational year (2020-21), Mission Prep will serve students in grades TK-8, and will be focused on capitalizing upon the great progress we’ve made in our first 9 years.
The Mission Preparatory School’s design is based on the core characteristics common to the highest-performing urban charter schools in the country. We integrate academic rigor, structured school and classroom environments, peaceable classroom culture, and individualized support to ensure college preparation and academic readiness. We aspire to build leadership opportunities for our middle school students. Mission Prep operates with an extended school day (7:40am-4:00pm), extended school year (190 days), and extensive professional development support for teachers, including 28 full PD days throughout the year and two hours every Wednesday afternoon.
Our Results, and Looking Ahead
On the California Smarter Balanced Assessments, Mission Prep students exceeded state and district averages in ELA and Math, making us the top-performing school for Latino students in San Francisco and earning a 10 out of 10 Similar Schools rating. Awarded the distinction of California Distinguished School in 2019, we are committed to continuing to improve our instructional program and educational practice in order to ensure Mission Prep students achieve ambitious academic goals and complete 8t h grade prepared to access and succeed in college-preparatory high schools and higher education. This year is a special year, as our current Founders are preparing their High School applications and will be headed off to High School next year.
The Mission Preparatory School is conducting a nationwide search for educators who share our commitment to high expectations for every child and who will do all that it takes to put each Mission Prep student on the path to college. Our team works hard, works together, and takes ownership for the overall success of our students and school.
- Embody the mission and vision of Mission Prep
- Build a strong culture of achievement in the classroom and on the Middle School Team
- Create and implement rigorous, standards-aligned, objective-driven instructional plans and assessments
- Maintain student performance data in school tracking systems
- Analyze and use data to inform and adjust instruction
- Provide individualized, differentiated support to ensure all students reach mastery
- Teach and enforce school-wide systems, routines, and expectations
- Implement classroom and school-wide family communication systems
- Participate actively in professional development and professional learning communities
- Use feedback and observations to improve performance
- Complete administrative and operational duties in accordance with school needs and deadlines
- Coordinate and participate in school-wide events, including community meetings, field trips, and other activities
- Bachelor’s degree
- CA multiple subject teaching credential
- CLAD/BCLAD certification
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Urban teaching experience preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong organizational capacity
- Experience analyzing and using data to inform practice
- Openness to feedback and commitment to developing continually as a professional educator
- Accountability for student achievement outcomes
Start Date: July 2020
Salary and Compensation: Salary scales are based on years of experience and expertise. Scales are competitive with other charter school organizations and local districts.