School Network Staff Middle School Math Coach, Navigator
|Start Date:||June 1, 2019|
About Achievement First:
Achievement First, a non-profit 501(c)3 charter school management organization, operates over 30 public charter schools in Brooklyn, Connecticut and Rhode Island. The mission of Achievement First is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all children, regardless of race or economic status. Achievement First currently educates more than 12,600 students in historically underserved neighborhoods, with over 90% of our students identifying as Black and Latino. With its college preparatory focus, the Achievement First approach is attaining breakthrough academic gains throughout the network. Beyond our students and schools, Achievement First is an engaged and prominent partner in the larger conversation about how to improve public education and student achievement in our country. Achievement First’s approach to teaching and learning enables every student to succeed at the highest levels. This involves:
- Recruiting and developing successful teachers and school leaders and empowering them to use student data to strategically drive instruction;
- Creating a joyful school culture where it is “cool to be smart” that emphasizes character education and focuses students on college;
- Providing students with more time on task and intense intervention when they are struggling so that no child falls through the cracks.
For more information about Achievement First’s mission, approach, schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
Background on Navigator:
Navigator is an Achievement First open source program designed to support traditional public schools and charter schools in accelerating their math achievement by sharing AF’s math curriculum and providing intensive coaching support to schools participating in the program. Navigator is a national program, serving nearly 50 schools around the country.
The Navigator Math Coach is the primary source of guidance and implementation support for school teams during the program year. The Navigator Math Coach will coach a portfolio of 6-8 schools and
their teaching teams in the implementation of Achievement First math curriculum with the school-based math leader as the primary coachee. The coach will be responsible for conducting weekly observations, coaching and problem solving, virtual and on-site visits to the schools, and providing professional development (live and virtual) and PD planning support to drive successful implementation of the math program components and positive student achievement results at the school. The ideal candidate will possess the proven ability to coach adults to make transformative growth in student achievement outcomes.
Responsibilities of the Navigator Math Coach will include but are not limited to:
- Instructional coaching: Intensive coaching, including observation of, feedback to and co-planning with participants during the program year. Coaching responsibilities will include weekly observation and problem solving, PD planning feedback, PD observation and feedback, and change management support / people leadership support.
- Engagement and coaching of principals and principal managers: Regular meetings with each participant’s principal and the principal’s manager to align around implementation outcomes, monitor development and troubleshoot issues that arise.
- Design and facilitate professional learning: Contribute to the design and execution of a long-term scope and sequence that ensures all math leaders leave the program with strong coaching practices and instructional model aligned to a college ready bar.
- Data analysis and action planning: Regular analysis of and action planning based on achievement data.
- Support the Program Strategy and Operations: Engage in strategic discussions to improve the overall program design and impact. Contribute to the long-term strategy for curriculum implementation support.
Skills and Characteristics
- Track record of strong student achievement gains as part of a school leadership team, preferably as the principal or dean of a school
- Strong problem analysis and problem resolution at both a strategic and functional level
- Deep experience in coaching of adults and knowledge of adult learning strategies including the ability to differentiate coaching approach to the learner’s skill and/or experience level
- Ability to learn and adapt to different contexts and school levels, e.g., charter/district; elementary/middle/high
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
- Highly motivated and capable of seeing projects through from beginning to end
- Belief in the Achievement First mission and educational model
- Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Advanced degree from a competitive college or university
- At least four years of highly effective teaching experience demonstrating a strong track record of student performance gains
- Minimum of two to four years of school leadership experience at a highly-successful school demonstrating a strong track record of student performance gains
- The ideal candidate will also have a strong track record of coaching with school principals and other school leaders to produce achievement gains
- Experience working with leaders and developing leaders across lines of difference
Some weekend/evening work required and some travel will be required.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
How to ApplyTo Apply Send resume and letter of interest to: Steven Farley Associate, Team Partnerships StevenFarley@achievementfirst.org Please visit the Achievement First careers site at http://www.achievementfirst.org/careers/. Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.
483 total views, 2 today