This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
28 Apr 2017
Teacher Middle School Math Teacher
An Invitation to Apply for the Position of
Middle School Math Teacher (Available 2017-2018)
Girls Prep Lower East Side Middle School
Girls Prep Bronx Middle School
New York, NY or Bronx, NY
Overview: About Public Prep
The Public Prep Network (PPN) is a nonprofit organization that develops single-sex elementary and middle public schools that pursue excellence through continuous learning and data-driven instruction. Our model is designed to empower each student to build strong character, demonstrate critical thinking, possess a core body of knowledge and be on a predictive path to earn a degree from a four-year university.
Our network is currently comprised of three tuition-free single-sex public charter schools across five campuses and one tuition-free single-sex Pre-K. Our campuses are: Girls Prep Lower East Side Elementary, Girls Prep Lower East Side Middle School, Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School, Girls Prep Bronx Middle School, and Boys Prep Elementary School. The Pre-K program, PrePrep: the Joan Ganz Cooney Early Learning Center, is housed inside of Girls Prep Bronx Elementary School.
Public Preparatory Network/Public Preparatory Academies is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Why teach at the Public Preparatory Network
At Public Prep we believe that joy, warmth, and high levels of student engagement are the foundation of a school culture where students achieve academically and develop character strengths. In the words of one community member, “Every student, every family and every Girls Prep staff member plays an important part of our amazing school, a school filled with energy, personality, hardworking people and a great deal of commitment.”
We believe in order to do that, schools not only need to deliver meaningful academics through an engaging and rigorous way, but we understand the importance of incorporating arts, the sciences, community and strong core values into our program. Our goal each day is not to only stimulate the mind, but also to reach the whole child in providing a safe consistent environment to learn and grown in. Our staff believe children learn best when they gain self-confidence and purpose when a caring community of educators not only care about their academic achievements but are truly invested in them socially and emotionally.
Joining our team at Public Prep!
Public Prep is seeking a secondary Math teacher to join the instructional team to begin in the 2017-2018 school year. The Math teacher will design and deliver instruction that supports students in thinking deeply and expressing their views clearly.
The Mathematics Teacher will also establish families as partners through annual student home visits, participation in regular school events, and through providing frequent communications about curriculum, academic progress and behavior. They work closely with the Director of Student and Family Affairs, Counselor, and Family Coordinator to support this work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinating knowledge of students, instructional content and curricular resources to design differentiated units and lesson plans aligned to the Common Core standards.
- Using a variety of assessments fully aligned with instructional outcomes to provide a full composite of students’ abilities and needs and to inform instruction.
- Engaging in coaching cycles and implementing research-based strategies that maximize their own performance and that of their students.
- Reflecting on their own progress as educators and seeking out professional resources to continuously improve their practice.
- Providing students with frequent feedback and evaluation based on the development of individualized goals for performance that are specific, measurable, ambitious, rooted in data and time-bound.
- Managing student behavior and classroom routines to maximize learning time and create a positive Mathematics classroom environment.
- Implementing school-wide positive behavior incentive policies and logical consequences.
- Celebrating student progress and effort each day in their classrooms and through bi-weekly, school-wide Unity Meetings.
- Collaborating with colleagues to leverage the strengths of all team members.
- Maintaining records of students’ progress and family communications through Global Scholar software.
- Communicating with families regularly, responding to emails and phone calls within 36 hours.
- Attending IEP meetings and ensuring appropriate accommodations are given to students during assessments as needed.
- Actively participating in school and network-led meetings and professional development workshops as laid out in the school and professional development calendars.
- Supporting the school as directed by the Principal.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- An M.A., Ed.M or Master’s degree in Mathematics
- New York State Certification for relevant grades and content area or demonstrated process towards receiving reciprocity for certification from other states
- A minimum of 2 years of demonstrated success as a full-time middle school mathematics teacher
- Demonstrated success working in a high-performing, urban school setting preferred
- Evidence of excellence in teaching through continuous learning and data analysis
- Exceptional organization and planning skills
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- An ability to work collaboratively
- A commitment to single-sex education
- Conversational or Fluent Spanish is a plus but not required
- A strong work ethic and sense of humor
How to ApplyPlease visit, https://jobs.lever.co/publicprep to submit an application. Please be sure to attach a resume and a cover letter including examples of how you have demonstrated continuous learning and specific ways you have used student data to drive instructional decisions.
79 total views, 1 today