Teacher Middle School Science/STEAM Teacher
Middle School Science/STEAM Teacher
The position will begin in August 2023 for the 2023-2024 school year. This position reports to the Head of Middle School and provides our kids with joyful, interactive learning experiences that give our kids choice and voice in their learning. We are looking for candidates who love science and have a strong desire to teach middle school children.
About Stanley BPS:
Stanley British Primary School, located in Denver’s Lowry neighborhood, is a progressive independent school serving 470 children from transitional kindergarten through 8th grade. For 50 years, Stanley classrooms have been filled with engaged learners guided by inspired teachers. At Stanley, a child’s education goes well beyond academics – our teachers and our instruction principles give children the opportunity to reach their full potential academically, creatively, socially, emotionally and physically. We asked parents, teachers, staff and students to reflect on why they chose Stanley BPS. The answers we heard reflect a place and a philosophy unlike any other in the Denver independent school landscape. Teaching and learning at Stanley goes beyond a simple education. Students here have a chance to play, to choose, to interact and to own and embrace their own learning. SBPS is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive school community. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- An inclusive and diverse community
- Lifelong learning
- Positive and constructive communication
- Creativity, flexibility, and resourcefulness
- An understanding of children and childhood
- Commitment to making a positive difference in the world
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspire and educate kids to develop to their full potential.
- Create a safe, supportive, mutually respectful classroom community that values the distinct contributions and abilities of each student.
- Teach three sections of middle school science classes per trimester.
- Commit to embodying inclusiveness as a core value in the classroom and within the school community and emphasizing the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion within the curriculum and in all spaces.
- Work within a team-based, collaborative environment to support students of varied levels and abilities.
- Develop curricula that builds on the scope and sequence of the middle school science curriculum.
- Collaborate with colleagues to provide interdisciplinary learning opportunities for students across class.
- Team teach homeroom with multi-aged kids with colleagues.
- Advise middle school kids.
- Participate and engage in professional activities and gatherings at team, departmental, divisional, and school-wide levels.
- Engage in student-life activities including school assemblies, dances, clubs, electives, student grade-level meetings, and traveling on middle school overnight trips, such as homeroom camping trip, the 6th-grade trip, 7th-grade Moab trip, and the 8th-grade England trip.
- Assist with duties as needed, such as carpool, recess, lunch, and other duties as assigned.
Desired Qualifications and Background Experience:
- An appreciation for and understanding of Stanley British Primary’s philosophy of education, including the 7 goals for learners of self-awareness, collaboration, respect, curiosity, perseverance, academic resourcefulness, and joyful, lifelong learning.
- A deep enjoyment of working with middle school kids and getting to know them as individual people, honoring and valuing each unique child.
- A commitment to, enjoyment of, and appreciation of the development needs of middle school students.
- A commitment to improving one’s craft and growing professionally, modeling the joyful, lifelong learning we seek to impart on our students.
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- Experience working in a diverse environment.
- Highly organized and attentive to detail, able to keep track of a wide variety of dates, deadlines, and logistics.
- A willingness to pitch in and help out wherever needed.
- A self-starter who is attentive to the needs of individual kids.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent collaboration skills that support students and colleagues.
- Flexible and able to manage details and follow-through.
- Familiarity and comfort with a range of technology, including the Google platform, and Microsoft suite software.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary range is $49,000 – $75,000 based on experience and education
The salary range listed is just one component of Stanley’s total compensation for employees. Stanley provides excellent benefits including medical, dental, life and disability insurance, retirement, paid time off in addition to paid fall, holiday and spring breaks, paid parental leave, tuition remission and professional development.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Stanley BPS is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of Stanley BPS, including admissions, employment and access to services and programs.