Teacher Montessori Lead Teacher
The mission of Montessori Elementary at Highland Park (ME@HP) is to cultivate ambitious, fearless learners through intellectually-stimulating, interactive experiences that awaken curiosity, nurture advanced thinking, and promote independence.
We are seeking an experienced Lead Montessori Teacher who is passionate about the Montessori method and believes in the mission of ME@HP to join our team for the 2021 – 2022 academic school year. This individual will guide his/her students’ activities in a prepared Montessori environment that will challenge each child to develop all skillsets — cognitive, emotional, social, and physical. This will be done for the age group in which the teacher has completed a satisfactory Montessori training program.
- Manage and coordinate overall classroom activities and schedules as relate to students, parents, and teachers, assuring all parties are informed of any changes
- Introduce children to appropriate Montessori materials to include individual and group presentations
- Convey information concerning the special needs of some children; propose possible strategies that will support positive behavior and minimize negative behavior.
- Use appropriate positive guidance and discipline techniques with the children
- Monitor group activities to maximize healthy socialization, fostering of community and healthy recreation
- Maintain attendance, progress, behavior, safety and evaluations records for all students
- Be responsible for the safety and well-being of students at all times
- Observe, record, and report significant group and individual behavior
- Establish and maintain good communications with parents through informal contacts, weekly notes, telephone contacts, e-mail, etc.
- Schedule and lead formal and informal parent-teacher conferences, involving other teachers and assistants as appropriate.
- Collaborate with other lead teachers and administration to develop curriculum and coordinate common activities
- Actively participate in faculty & staff meetings
- Supervise assistant teachers’ daily responsibilities, professional development and interactions with parents and students
- Prepare for school’s community activities such as open houses, observation and general meetings or special events
- Demonstrate sufficient security and judgment to handle a crisis and to use supervision constructively
- Along with Director, assure the school is in compliance with licensing, health and safety requirements
- Evaluate prospective students, as needed
- Adhere to school policies
- Perform other duties, as directed by administration
- Tennessee teaching certification or the ability to obtain Tennessee teaching certification is required prior to the start of the 2021 – 2022 academic school year
- Appropriate Montessori certification from a MACTE approved training center required prior to the start of the 2021 – 2022 academic school year. ME@HP will cover expenses related to obtaining MACTE certification for final applicants, if necessary.
- Have the physical capacity to work with preschool/kindergarten aged children (includes but is not limited to: bending, minor lifting, working on the floor)
- Prior Montessori teaching experience preferred
- Supervision experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree
- CPR and First Aid certified
- Must be willing to undergo criminal background check
Compensation to be determined by working experience and education.
Direct career inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Located on the site of the former Highland Park Grammar School, Montessori Elementary at Highland Park will be an anchor institution in one of Chattanooga’s most vibrant and diverse urban neighborhoods. Founded in 1889, Highland Park is an historic district that is experiencing explosive growth and redevelopment. Attention garnered through revitalization efforts have transformed Highland Park into an eclectic community defined by tree-lined residential streets, lush green spaces, outdoor recreational parks, local businesses, and outstanding schools.
Opening in August 2021, Montessori Elementary at Highland Park is a co-educational, public charter school that offers an educational program for children, PreK 3 through 5th grade. Located in the heart of the Highland Park community, the school serves families from all backgrounds and provides a dynamic, participatory environment that integrates Montessori childhood education with STEAM experiential learning.
ME@HP is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Board of Education will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.