Data Analysis & Visualization Skills NYC Outward Bound Schools Data Associate
NYC Outward Bound Schools www.nycoutwardbound.org is a nonprofit organization that transforms schools and changes lives by bringing out the best in students, teachers and school leaders throughout New York City. We operate a citywide network of public schools, in partnership with the City’s Department of Education, which primarily target students from underserved neighborhoods. Our schools feature rigorous learning experiences, both in and out of the classroom, and are built upon a culture of high achievement and mutual support. And we provide our students with a robust To & Through College program. To further extend our impact, we also offer Adventure & Team Building programs to young people not enrolled in our schools and professional learning services to NYC public schools interested in adopting specific practices from our schools. Over the past 30+ years, we have served over 150,000 students.
- This position will support the growth of our organization’s ability to use data and research to learn and improve the support we provide to our partner schools and our ability to report on our impact externally.
- The role will work within the Programs Team and primarily create actionable data summaries to support school and college access teams with programmatic improvement.
- Be the main point of access to pull out relevant data from internal and external data sources in order to update internal dashboards and support quarterly and annual reporting, including:
- Field Programs – responsible for data input, maintenance and reporting for all data related to program participation, safety and outcomes.
- To & Through College – responsible for ongoing updating of and reporting from PERSIST (internal graduation and post secondary success database) from National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) and DOE data sources.
- Network Schools – responsible for providing network and school specific data for Network Strategy Team related to annual measures of success.
- Advancement – responsible for collecting the impact and participation data needed to report to funders and Board members.
- Provide quality assurance to all data sources including, but not limited to, NSC, ATS, and other student-level data for accuracy.
- Provide technical assistance around data use across the organization.
- Establish a consistent and efficient process for the full data life cycle – including collection, configuration, storage, analysis and dissemination.
- Manage the merger of specific student, teacher, school level demographic and outcome data, and NYC Outward Bound Schools output data into our network and schools dashboard on a quarterly basis
- Synthesize data that informs internal and external audiences and contributes to overall understanding of the impact our programs and services have on students and schools in terms of academics, character, community and college access and success.
- Support the creation of evaluation/impact reports on programmatic and organizational activities and outcomes. As requested, create summaries of school or program data.
Research & Learning (20%):
- Support the organization’s continuous improvement work by collaborating with the Network Strategy and other teams to provide data to support root cause analysis and using data to assess impact of short cycles of improvement.
- Supporting Network Strategy Team to consider what data would measure impact of program team programming (outputs)
- Support with collecting data and running reports
- Support with analyzing data to assess impact and working with teams including school-based staff to better understand their impact
- Collect a breadth of qualitative and quantitative data to support refinement of Theory Of Action (including a RCA)
- Conducting research on development in the field
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s preferred) in education policy, learning analytics or other relevant background
- Three (3) years interning/working in a data setting, within an education organization
- Advanced skills in Excel, SPSS, R, Python or other statistical software
- Proficient in using Tableau for data visualization
- Knowledge of DOE systems ATS, Salesforce and STARS
- Understanding of measurement and evaluation best practices
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis
Professional and Personal Characteristics-
- Keen eye for detail and passion for quality assurance when dealing with large amounts of data
- You love finding ways to present messy data in clear and meaningful ways to a variety of audiences
- You have a demonstrated ability to be an analytical thinker
- You’re passionate about the use of data to help improve schools and student outcomes
- Teaching experience a plus
Ideal candidates will share the belief that: (our Core Values)
- All people are capable of doing great things when they are challenged and supported appropriately.
- Learning happens best in a community that actively encourages and practices respect, empathy, safety, inclusion, and diversity.
- Development of character is as important as the development of intellect, and that the two go hand in hand.
Compensation and Benefits
- We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- We offer medical, dental, and vision coverage as well as HRA/FSA/Transit accounts, life insurance, 403(b) with employer match after one year, sick leave, and generous PTO.
NYC Outward Bound Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit discrimination against, and harassment of, any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, pregnancy, genetic information, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, familial status, military or veteran status, qualified individuals with a disability on the basis of the disability, or any other category which may be protected under applicable state or federal law.
No phone calls please. We appreciate all responses, but due to the high volume of resumes received, we can only contact those applicants whose qualifications best match the position requirements.