Teacher Online Diploma and GED Prep Teacher
Colorado High School Charter (CHSC) is seeking an Online teacher for both its Diploma and GED Prep programs for the 2021-2022 school year. This position will serve students at our GES and Osage campuses in Denver, Colorado.
CHSC provides students with a unique and innovative learning experience that allows them to recover credits through engaging and relevant curriculum in core content classes (Math, Science, Social Studies and English Language Arts) while taking advantage of numerous concurrent enrollment and community partnership opportunities in a learning environment committed to equity and inclusivity. At CHSC, we seek to provide options in education and see the GED as a meaningful alternative pathway for some students.
Colorado High School Charter Overview
Colorado High School Charter (CHSC) is a grades 9-12 public charter school in Denver, whose mission is to transform the alternative education experience by igniting the potential within each of the diverse young people we serve. CHSC is one of the leading alternative education campuses in Denver, with student achievement data consistently showing notable growth. As a member of the CHSC team, you will have the opportunity to develop meaningful relationships with your students while receiving regular coaching and professional development to allow you to make a difference for students who have not found success elsewhere. To learn more, please visit our website: www.coloradohighschoolcharter.com
What makes teaching at CHSC exciting?
- Constant learning through regular coaching and professional development
- A focus on student personal and academic growth achieved through tailored curricula, a supportive school environment and community partnerships
- Social emotional support for students to remove barriers in and out of the classroom so ALL students can be successful
- A great staff culture that regularly celebrates student and staff achievement
- We are growing. CHSC has experienced increased enrollment; word is spreading about the amazing work we do.
What do we look for in candidates?
- You are committed to equitable and inclusive practices, inside and out of the classroom.
- You are reflective and willing to engage with continuous professional learning to move our learning community in the desired direction for all students, families and staff members.
- You are passionate about education in an alternative education setting and are excited about Colorado High School’s mission.
- You recognize the value of learning through real-world application and are eager to help all students consider a range of career paths.
- You value data and use it to make meaningful decisions about student learning.
- You have experience or a strong desire to work with young people who have struggled personally or academically in traditional school settings.
- You are tenacious about your own professional growth and have the ability to seek and apply feedback to improve your practice.
- You’re entrepreneurial, innovative and willing to do “whatever it takes.”
- You value developing trusting and often transformative relationships with students.
- You are a team player who helps create a positive, vibrant school culture.
- Candidates from diverse backgrounds and/or bilingual in English/Spanish are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
The Online Diploma and GED Prep teacher will teach multiple sections of mixed-level high school core content to students over the course of the academic school year, using multiple online platforms, supporting student progress towards their high school diploma or GED (by passing all four assessments in Math, Language Arts, Science and Social Studies).
- Deliver engaging, standards-aligned inquiry-based curricula through the district-provided Edgenuity platform, continually finding ways to make remote learning relevant to your students’ lives.
- Manage the classroom effectively by developing quality relationships and high expectations for students to maintain a productive learning environment.
- Provide learning and academic support to all students through individual and small group instruction.
- Conduct weekly outreach to students and families.
- Coordinate preparation and practice testing for students wishing to pursue their GED.
- Positively impact achievement and differentiate instruction based on the needs of students
- Work collaboratively with students, families, and colleagues.
- Support and actively participate in professional learning communities, professional development, and staff team-building exercises.
- Utilize multiple online platforms to monitor attendance, post grades, and deliver student assignments.
- Support and willingly engage with Restorative Justice practices.
- Collaborate with peers, instructional coach, and administration to refine practice.
- Engage families and community members through phone calls and CHSC Family Nights.
- Develop strong and trusting relationships with students and families.
Work hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday with occasional evening commitments for school events.
Colorado High School Charter seeks candidates with strong character, management skills on multiple platforms, ability to serve in multiple roles of teaching, ability to motivate students, flexibility to meet student needs, passion for supporting students of diverse backgrounds and needs, and a relentless commitment to improvement and learning.
- One of the following:
- Subject matter endorsement on a Colorado teaching license in one or more content areas
- Bachelor’s degree or higher with major in one or more subject matters
- 36 semester credit hours in one or more subject matters
- Passing score in one or more subject matters on Praxis exam
- Strong knowledge of teaching methods, learning styles and educational research related to secondary learners
- Strong communication, organization, and planning skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build rapport quickly, facilitating positive relationships with students and coworkers
- Problem solving skills
- Proficiency in the use of technology
- Permanent US work authorization
- Experience working with young people who have struggled personally or academically in traditional school settings.
- Proficiency in using Infinite Campus or other student data-base information systems.
- Online teaching experience with high school aged students
The starting salary for this position is between $48,079 and $67,758, depending on education and experience. The maximum salary for this position is approximately $90,000. A comprehensive benefits package is included. Teachers are eligible for the Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program.
Submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
CHSC proudly values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. Colorado High School Charter does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, natural origin, age, sex, or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in its programs and activities.
Colorado High School Charter is transforming the alternative education experience by igniting the potential within each of the diverse young people we serve. CHSC ensures students’ personal and academic growth by creating tailored curricula, a supportive school environment, and community partnerships. We empower our students to succeed in life and positively contribute to their families and communities by offering them the freedom and resources to pursue a post-secondary path aligned with their individualized goals.
Colorado High School Charter is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and school needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state or local law. Colorado High School Charter believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our schools’ success, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.