Operations / Administration Operations Assistant
Chalkbeat, the growing nonprofit news organization covering public education in America, is seeking an Operations Assistant to support our our day-to-day operations and plan for rapid growth.
We’re looking for someone who is excited to grow their skills in nonprofit operations and can work on tasks big and small to further Chalkbeat’s expansion. Our ideal candidate views operations from a customer service perspective, as a positive support to the organization’s staff and overall mission, and never as a bureaucratic obstacle to serving the needs of our team.
You’ll join a tightly-knit operations team responsible for talent, finance, and systems development, and you’ll interact regularly with our editorial, product, and development teams as part of our vibrant remote culture.
The key responsibilities for this role include:
Coordinating talent work as we build a larger team and support our existing staff, including:
- Posting jobs and screening applications
- Scheduling interviews and serving as a point of contact for candidates throughout the hiring process
- Managing our applicant tracking software
- Supporting new employee onboarding
- Maintaining employee records in our human resources software and document management system
- Supporting annual open enrollment and ongoing benefits administration
- Managing paperwork for Chalkbeat’s freelance contributors
Providing a wide range of operations support as we serve our current team and expand to new geographies, including:
- Office support for our New York City headquarters, bureaus and remote work spaces
- Logistics support for team and community events
- Researching and purchasing of centralized services
- Coordinating shared subscriptions and accounts
- Preparing documentation for our annual audit
Providing smart logistics and executive support for our Chief Operating Officer and management team, including:
- Scheduling and coordinating a variety of team meetings
- Researching and booking cost-effective and efficient travel
- Managing expense reporting for our COO and for our central purchasing card
What background and skills do you have? (We know not all strong candidates will have all the skills we list. That’s OK. What else do you bring to the table? Please tell us!):
- Great task management skills, problem-solving ability, and superior attention to detail
- Strong customer service mindset
- Experience using discretion when communicating about sensitive topics
- Ability to build trusting relationships with Chalkbeat’s full team, even in a virtual setting
- Flexible and comfortable in a work environment where multitasking is the norm, the pace is fast, and priorities will evolve
- Proficient with office software, primarily the Google Suite
- At least 1-2 years of relevant work experience (e.g. nonprofit operations, human resources, executive support)
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
Bonus points if you’ve got:
- Curiosity about education or nonprofit journalism, and a connection to our mission
- Experience with the project management tool Asana
- Experience with human resources software and policies
The position will be based at our New York office, conveniently located near Penn Station.
This is a full-time position with benefits. Chalkbeat offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefits package, including a paid winter recess from December 26-31.
Chalkbeat is the nonprofit news organization committed to covering one of America’s most important stories: the effort to improve schools for all children, especially those who have historically lacked access to a quality education. We are mission-driven journalists who believe that an independent local press is vital to ensuring that education improves. Currently in seven locations and growing, we seek to provide deep local coverage of education policy and practice that informs decisions and actions, leading to better schools. Read more about our mission and values.