School Network Staff Program Coordinator (Part-Time)
Start date: ASAP
Commitment: Approximately 29 hours/week
- Monday 9am-12:30pm; 3pm-5:30pm
- Tuesday 9am-12:30pm; 3pm-5:30pm
- Wednesday 9am-12:30pm; 2pm-5:30pm
- Thursday 9am-12:30pm; 3pm-5:30pm
- Friday 9am-1pm
About Read Ahead
Since 1991, Read Ahead has connected public elementary school students with caring mentors from leading corporate and community partners. During weekly Read Ahead sessions, our volunteer mentors form meaningful relationships with their mentees, and help children to grow their literacy skills, confidence, love of reading, and other skills essential for success. Over 98% of teachers would recommend Read Ahead to a colleague, and our program impacts the lives of over 750 children each year.
The need for Read Ahead is especially urgent in the wake of COVID-19. To meet this moment, Read Ahead developed a completely virtual program in 2020. Combining our 30 years of experience with new technology platforms and an educator-designed curriculum, Read Ahead continues to match children with supportive mentors for fun, live program sessions that build connection, confidence, literacy skills, and more. Our program remains fully virtual for the 2021-22 school year, but we anticipate transitioning to a hybrid model in the future.
With the development of our new virtual program, and anti-racism and anti-oppression commitments (https://readahead.org/anti-oppression-commitments-oct2020/), Read Ahead has an opportunity to deepen our impact for students. We are committed to ongoing improvement as an organization, and are eager to take bold new steps to create better outcomes for the students, families, and schools we serve.
Read Ahead expects each staff member to be an active and engaged collaborator in Read Ahead’s organization-wide efforts to advance DEIB goals including, but not limited to, participating in team meetings and ensuring that all project plans and outcomes are aligned with DEIB goals.
Read Ahead’s Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression Commitments are outlined here.
Read Ahead provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or veteran status. We seek to build a diverse staff representative of the communities we serve. All qualified applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Expectations for Remote and In-Person Work
Read Ahead continues to closely monitor health and safety guidelines in New York City. At this time, the Program Coordinator role is primarily remote with some in-person expectations. Expectations for remote vs. in-person work may be adjusted as health and safety guidelines change.
We are partnered with nine NYC public elementary schools. Our program currently takes place virtually, however most participants log in from school or afterschool sites, and we expect staff members to conduct periodic school site visits during the school year. For the Program Coordinator, necessary in-person visits will include some meetings with school or afterschool staff and support during certain program sessions. Periodic additional in person work may include other meetings with stakeholders as deemed necessary for program success and / or support for organization-wide events.
Read Ahead has an office located at 50 Broad Street. We are preparing to reopen our office space in January as an optional resource for staff members, but do not have an in-office work requirement at this time and are currently conducting our team meetings remotely. Staff will be notified in advance of any changes to these policies.
As of September 27, 2021, all New York City Department of Education employees, contractors, and visitors are required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination before entering any school buildings. Additionally, the city recently announced new vaccination requirements for workplaces. Read Ahead is finalizing our own vaccination and COVID safety policy—which will be aligned with current school guidelines, and compliant with city requirements—and expect to implement it in January.
As a part of a dynamic and dedicated program team, the Program Coordinator (Part-Time) is responsible for the management of Read Ahead at their assigned school(s)/program(s). They act as an ambassador of Read Ahead and engage regularly with mentees, parents and caregivers, volunteer mentors, and school staff. The Program Coordinator (Part-Time) is responsible for ensuring that the program runs smoothly, that mentors and mentees are supported throughout their mentoring experience, and that program goals are met. The Program Coordinator (Part-Time) is responsible for critical administrative and logistical tasks, including scheduling, tracking attendance, and database entry.
As part of a dynamic and evolving program team, the Program Coordinator (Part-Time) will support with building out an improved literacy program that engages even more deeply with students, caregivers, schools, and mentors. As we focus on deepening the impact of our literacy engagement with students, Read Ahead may expand its current program offerings beyond our current volunteer model. Program Coordinators (Part-Time) will participate in initiatives that further deepen the impact of Read Ahead’s unique approach to using literacy as a means of social change.
Program Coordinators (Part-Time) work approximately 29 hours per week (precise schedule to be confirmed in discussion with manager, and will be based on school and program scheduling needs). Occasional required meetings, training sessions, or other events may also take place outside of regular hours.
The ideal candidate is a flexible, proactive problem-solver with excellent relationship-building (especially with families), organizational, and communication skills. The role is a great fit for an individual who has an understanding of the New York City public school system and the communities we serve. This is a great opportunity for someone who is passionate about children, mentoring, reading, and/or volunteerism. Experience with using technology and a comfort and interest in learning new technology is a plus. Completion of a satisfactory criminal background check and DOE fingerprinting is required.
Program Facilitation (subject to change based on program models)
- Facilitate, coordinate, and monitor 10-15 weekly Read Ahead sessions on Zoom with up to 25 participants
- Communicate effectively and regularly with key stakeholders, including parents/caregivers, volunteer mentors, and teachers/school staff
- Manage program technology and provide assistance to participants (i.e., Zoom and online reading platforms)
- Manage and support ~150 volunteer mentors, including ongoing communication
- Support ~100 mentees in grades 1-5 in their mentoring experience
- Provide ongoing support to mentors and mentees, including formal check-ins
Program Quality Management (subject to change)
- Conduct tasks that ensure a high-quality program, including data tracking, supporting mentor training
- Review and approve mentor applications and support mentors through onboarding process
- Collaborate on content and possibly delivery of mentor training
- Support the creation of session materials for programs, as well as supporting curriculum development, improvements, and redesigns by the Program Team
- Engage with school staff and families to share information about 2021-22 program and encourage student enrollment, including communicating with school leadership and liaisons, answering caregiver questions, supporting with completion of permission forms
- Collaborate in a pilot of summer RA staff-led programming with students and/or lead or collaborate in a continuation of mentor-mentee programming
- Support and execute new family engagement initiatives to build relationships with families
- Support all other initiatives that foster greater engagement of parents and caregivers, as determined by the Senior Director, Program & Impact
- Enter and track program data in Read Ahead’s database in a timely manner with attention to detail/accuracy
- Coordinate the scheduling of and reminders for mentors and mentees for your program sessions
- Actively participate in team meetings, learning initiatives, and professional development
- Ensure the inclusion of DEIB initiatives into mentor onboarding, training, and ongoing management
- Support all key DEIB initiatives and new team culture practices
- Passion for Read Ahead’s mission
- Demonstrated understanding of the connection between literacy, child development, and social justice
- A demonstrated commitment to an anti-racism and equity lens in their work and communications (internal and external)
- Experience working with kids and their parents/caregivers, and a positive, growth-mindset approach to supporting children
- Experience with, or a strong interest in, volunteer management
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage time and deadlines effectively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with technology, and an openness to learning and using new tools (e.g., email, video conferencing, cloud-based file management, and project management tools)
- High level of attention to detail
- Team player and contributor
- Ability to work and adapt in a fast-paced environment
- Interest in remote work with the ability to lead and monitor daily mentoring sessions remotely
Summary of Compensation and Benefits
Pay Rate: $25/hour
Paid Time Off (PTO) & Benefits
- All federal holidays
- Wednesday – Friday of Thanksgiving Week
- Christmas Eve – New Year’s Day
- Sick days
- Accrued vacation days
- 403(b) with up to a 3% match by Read Ahead for all employees who are employed on the last day of the calendar year (e.g. 12/31/2022)
- Professional development/wellness stipend