Operations / Administration Program Coordinator (Part-Time)
Program Coordinator (Part-Time, Temporarily Remote)
Start date: September 1, 2021
Commitment: Approximately 29 hours/week
About Read Ahead
Since 1991, Read Ahead has connected public elementary school students with caring mentors from leading corporate and community partners. During weekly Read Ahead sessions, our volunteer mentors form meaningful relationships with their mentees, and help children to grow their literacy skills, confidence, love of reading, and other skills essential for success. Over 98% of teachers would recommend Read Ahead to a colleague, and our program impacts the lives of over 750 children each year.
The need for Read Ahead is especially urgent in the wake of COVID-19. To meet this moment, Read Ahead developed a completely virtual program for the 2020-21 school year and is continuing this for 2021-2022. Combining our 30 years of experience with new technology platforms that include an educator-designed curriculum, Read Ahead continues to match children with supportive mentors for fun, live program sessions that build connection, confidence, literacy skills, and more.
With the development of our new virtual program, and anti-racism and anti-oppression commitments (https://readahead.org/anti-oppression-commitments-oct2020/), Read Ahead has an opportunity to deepen our impact for students.
We are committed to ongoing improvement as an organization, and are eager to take bold new steps to create better outcomes for the students, families, and schools we serve.
Read Ahead provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or veteran status. We seek to build a diverse staff representative of the communities we serve. All qualified applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
As a part of a dynamic and dedicated program team, the Program Coordinator (Part-Time) is responsible for the management of Read Ahead at their assigned school(s)/program(s). They act as an ambassador of Read Ahead and engage regularly with mentees, parents and caregivers, volunteer mentors, and school staff. The Program Coordinator (Part-Time) is responsible for ensuring that the program runs smoothly, that mentors and mentees are supported throughout their mentoring experience, and that program goals are met. The Program Coordinator (Part-Time) is responsible for critical administrative and logistical tasks, including scheduling, tracking attendance, and database entry.
As part of a dynamic and evolving program team, the Program Coordinator (Part-Time) will support with building out an improved literacy program that engages even more deeply with students, caregivers, schools, and mentors. As we focus on deepening the impact of our literacy engagement with students, Read Ahead may expand its current program offerings beyond our current volunteer model. Program Coordinators (Part-Time) will participate in initiatives that further deepen the impact of Read Ahead’s unique approach to using literacy as a means of social change.
Program Coordinators (Part-Time)work approximately 29 hours per week (precise schedule to be confirmed in discussion with manager, and will be based on school and program scheduling needs). Occasional required meetings, training sessions, or other events may also take place outside of regular hours.
The ideal candidate is a flexible, proactive problem-solver with excellent relationship-building (especially with families), organizational, and communication skills. The role is a great fit for an individual who has an understanding of the New York City public school system and the communities we serve. This is a great opportunity for someone who is passionate about children, mentoring, reading, and/or volunteerism. Experience with using technology and a comfort and interest in learning new technology is a plus. Completion of a satisfactory criminal background check and DOE fingerprinting is required.
During the 2021-2022 school year, Read Ahead will run a virtual program over Zoom likely with some in-person programming in spring 2022. Program Coordinators will be required to be in person occasionally to set up programs at partnering schools between late August-October 2021.
Program Facilitation (subject to change based on program models)
- Facilitate, coordinate, and monitor 10-15 weekly Read Ahead sessions on Zoom with up to 25 participants
- Communicate effectively and regularly with key stakeholders, including parents/caregivers, volunteer mentors, and teachers/school staff
- Manage program technology and provide assistance to participants (i.e., Zoom and online reading platforms)
- Manage and support ~150 volunteer mentors, including ongoing communication
- Support ~100 mentees in grades 1-5 in their mentoring experience
- Provide ongoing support to mentors and mentees, including formal check-ins
Program Quality Management (subject to change)
- Conduct tasks that ensure a high-quality program, including data tracking, supporting mentor training
- Review and approve mentor applications and support mentors through onboarding process
- Collaborate on content and possibly delivery of mentor training
- Support the creation of session materials for programs, as well as supporting curriculum development, improvements, and redesigns by the Program Team
- Engage with school staff and families to share information about 2021-22 program and encourage student enrollment, including communicating with school leadership and liaisons, answering caregiver questions, supporting with completion of permission forms
- Collaborate in a pilot of summer RA staff-led programming with students and/or lead or collaborate in a continuation of mentor-mentee programming
- Support and execute new family engagement initiatives to build relationships with families
- Support all other initiatives that foster greater engagement of parents and caregivers, as determined by the Senior Director, Program
- Enter and track program data in Read Ahead’s database in a timely manner with attention to detail/accuracy
- Coordinate the scheduling of and reminders for mentors and mentees for your program sessions
- Actively participate in team meetings, learning initiatives, and professional development
- Ensure the inclusion of DEIB initiatives into mentor onboarding, training, and ongoing management
- Support all key DEIB initiatives and new team culture practices
- Passion for Read Ahead’s mission
- Demonstrated understanding of the connection between literacy, child development, and social justice
- A demonstrated commitment to an anti-racism and equity lens in their work and communications (internal and external)
- Experience working with kids and their parents/caregivers, and a positive, growth-mindset approach to supporting children
- Experience with, or a strong interest in, volunteer management
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to manage time and deadlines effectively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with technology, and an openness to learning and using new tools (e.g., email, video conferencing, cloud-based file management, and project management tools)
- High level of attention to detail
- Team player and contributor
- Ability to work and adapt in a fast-paced environment
- Interest in remote work with the ability to lead and monitor daily mentoring sessions remotely
School openings & likely but tentative schedules include:
We have multiple openings for the Program Coordinator position. Most work will be done remotely but there will likely be some in person set up at the assigned school and possibly some in person work spring 2022. Program schedules and day/time commitment are still TBD but the tentative schedules are below. Schedules will be discussed during the interview process.
- PS 1, Lower East Side/Chinatown: Tuesday-Friday ~11:30am-5:30pm + Saturday ~9am-1:30pm (Saturdays required) *Mandarin speaker needed
- PS 33, Chelsea: Tuesday-Friday ~11:30am-5:30pm + Saturday ~9am-1:30pm
- PS 51, Hell’s Kitchen: Tuesday-Friday ~11:30am-5:30pm + Saturday ~9am-1:30pm
- PS 134, Lower East Side: Monday-Friday ~11:30am-5:30pm OR Monday-Thursday ~11:30am-5:30pm + Saturday 9am-1:30pm
Summary of Compensation and Benefits
Pay Rate: $25.00/hour
Benefits: Paid Time Off (PTO): Paid time off policy includes:
- All federal holidays
- Wed – Fri of Thanksgiving week
- Christmas Eve – New Year’s Day
- Five (5) sick days
- Vacation day accrual based upon employment anniversary date; during the first year employees accrue 11 days per year and after the first year accrue 14.5 days per year
- Eligibility to contribute to 403(b) with up to a 3% match by Read Ahead for all employees who are employed on the last day of the calendar year (e.g. 12/31/2021)
- Eligibility to participate in pre-tax TransitChek program
- Professional development & wellness stipends