Marketing and Communications Social Media Specialist
The United Federation of Teachers, the 195,000-member union of New York City public school educators and other professionals, seeks a social media specialist who is committed to public education and the labor movement to join our digital communications team.
You know how to:
- Create engaging content for major social platforms (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Establish an organization’s message, position and identity in a social media post
- Edit photos, videos and captions on the go using mobile tools
- Write compelling and concise captions, tweets and other social media posts using excellent spelling and grammar
- Use analytics to make recommendations about social media content
- Communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues who administer social accounts in the organization’s orbit to ensure the organization’s message is consistent across all social accounts and platforms
- Engage thoughtfully and respectfully on social media while conveying the organization’s message
- Manage engagement with social posts so questions and misinformation do not go
You’re interested in using social media to:
- Inform, engage and build community and social action
- Advocate for workers’ rights, public education and causes that are important to union members
- Build campaigns for real-world action
- Convey important and sometimes complex information
- Use digital tools to produce, edit, schedule and collaborate on content on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn as directed by the social media manager. Use approved language and messaging to build this content when the situation calls for it.
- Help guide and support other UFT staff with union-branded social accounts to ensure that their accounts are posting engaging, accurate and relevant content and that posts on union-wide topics are consistent across channels.
- Work with the union’s graphic designers to translate ideas into social media
- Report and create Instagram stories and reels as directed by the social media
- Respond rapidly but thoughtfully to breaking news and urgent
- Help manage engagement with post comments when the union posts on sensitive or complex topics by identifying and supporting subject matter experts in the union.
- Work collaboratively in person and remotely with the broader team that designs and executes social media strategy.
- Work outside regular work hours as assignments
- A Bachelor’s degree
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience
- A COVID-19 vaccination
- An interest in public education, politics and the labor movement
- A sense of humor
Salary $55,000-$65,000 depending on experience. A defined-benefit pension and other excellent benefits. Equal opportunity employer. In-person work at least three days a week at the union’s lower Manhattan headquarters is required.