Teacher Social Studies Teacher
We are seeking a 5th Grade Social Studies Teacher for an immediate start.
BSNBCS is a stand alone community charter school located in the heart of Bed-Stuy. Our team of dedicated educators serves more than 700 scholars in grades K-8 living in Central Brooklyn. Our school culture has been designed to support our specific population of students, in this community, and our framework develops opportunities that are local to our school and borough. We prioritize daily collaboration through our scheduling and school structure, while offering a higher level of autonomy and teacher creativity than many other public schools.
We seek instructors who understand our students, their strengths and needs. Effective employees at BSNCBS are seeking to grow their professional practice as a member of our team. Our organization is dedicated to the success of our team members through a career path that provides opportunities for professional growth and development. We offer strong total compensation, training, and development programs with a chance to work alongside others who take pride in growing our scholars.
The ideal BSNBCS team member has a “can do,” results-oriented attitude and a dedication to the quality of education our students need and deserve. Our most successful team members are hardworking, responsible, teaching-oriented individuals who are devoted to improving the learning environment through patience, flexibility, innovation and perseverance. We are looking for talented educators who are passionate about teaching, creative in helping students develop and who ask the question “What am I doing RIGHT NOW to improve student learning?”
Bed-Stuy New Beginnings:
Bedford Stuyvesant New Beginnings Charter School is an elementary and middle school proudly serving the students in our neighborhood in Brooklyn, affectionately known worldwide as ‘Bed-Stuy’. Opened in 2010, we serve more than 670 scholars in Kindergarten – Eighth Grade through the pursuit of 21st century learning, project based & service learning, and traditional coursework strategies, students will be prepared to succeed in academically competitive schools as well as become responsible citizens of the global community.
Our Social Studies Teachers:
Our Social Studies Arts Teachers are a key component to our Middle School Team. Our Social Studies Teachers are committed to turning social studies into exciting, engaging, and rigorous opportunities for each and every scholar.
We foster a culture of excitement about learning for our students by partnering together to create vibrant learning environments focused on project- and inquiry-based learning. We have a co-teaching model that allows our classroom teachers to partner together to ensure our scholars are engaged with rich and rigorous lesson material. We have a collaborative environment that is designed to help our scholars engage in their studies as well as in their natural curiosities and to embrace a culture that is based on restorative practices; allowing our scholars to feel connected, empowered, and respected.
A day in the life of our Social Studies Teachers:
- You will collaborate with your fellow teachers to ensure our curriculum meets and exceeds the common core standards of learning.
- You will partner with your co-teacher to create and implement creative subject specific unit and lesson plans based on the needs of your scholars and that are in accordance with the BSNBCS Mission.
- You will assist with preparing students for the New York State exams.
- Collaborate with other Teachers to share best practices so can professionally grow as a team.
- You’ll regularly report student progress while maintaining accurate and up to date records related to scholars’ achievement and performance.
- BSNBCS puts a big focus on our community, so you will need to take an active role in community outreach.
- Learning should be fun, so we want you to enjoy teaching and make every effort to make the learning environment engaging and exciting for your scholars!
What you need to bring to the table:
- You MUST have a valid and current New York State Teacher Certification. If you are not certified to teach in New York State, you must be actively working toward becoming certified to teach in New York via one of the NYS approved teacher certification pathways.
- You MUST have a bachelor’s degree in education or related field
- You MUST clear a fingerprint background check to work in any school in NY, so we require all teachers to be cleared through IdentoGo prior to starting employment with us. This cannot be waived and must be complete PRIOR to starting employment with us.
- You MUST be have received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine per the NYC mandate.
- You should have at least 2+ years of classroom teaching experience, preferably in an urban school.
What we offer you:
- A full-time position with a competitive salary that is commensurate with your experience and qualification.
- Amazing benefits! As a member of the team, your care and well-being are a top priority. You will have a great benefits package that is not only affordable but includes all the perks and benefits you deserve!
- A friendly and collaborative working environment
- The change to grow as a professional: You will be offered many opportunities to refine your skills and grow as a professional educator through quality professional development opportunities offered throughout the year!
- A learning environment that is innovative and creative: You will be empowered to be to take ownership of the learning environment in your classroom through 21st learning that is focused in project based, and inquiry based learning systems.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis. Once we have received your application, we will review your qualifications and experience as quickly as possible and get back to you within one week of submission.
We have taken all recommended COVID-19 safety precautions to ensure the safety of our staff, students and their families, and any visitors to the school.