Teacher Spanish speaking, Reggio- inspired Early Ed Maestre
|Mi Casita began as an inspired home-based bilingual daycare/preschool in 2011. The preschool expanded to a three classroom school and opened its doors full-time in January 2020. Located on the border of the Brooklyn neighborhoods of Clinton Hill and Bedford-Stuyvesant, Mi Casita Preschool and Cultural Center is dedicated to Spanish immersion for young children and to creating an environment where creativity is honored and cultivated.
The role of Head Teacher in this environment is vital to the mission of the school. We are seeking highly motivated, creative bilingual educators, who through reflective teaching and purposeful interactions, create an environment where children are fully engaged in the educational process of inquiry, observation, and reflection. We are looking for an applicant who resonates with the idea of educators as futurists, and who is looking to collaborate with fellow like-minded educators.
- Short and Long-term subs
- 2024-25 Head Teacher
The Head Teacher’s responsibilities include:
- Creating a thoughtful classroom environment that inspires play and curiosity and fosters the physical, social, emotional and intellectual growth of the children;
- Observing and documenting classroom interactions through individual and whole group assessments, photographs, dictation, etc.
- Collaborate with the teaching team to maintain the everyday function of the classroom.
Curriculum Design & Collaboration
- Have an in-depth understanding of many progressive emergent curriculums (i.e. Reggio Emilia philosophy, Montessori, Waldorf);
- Designing and implementing emergent curriculum through Reggio Inspired documentation and Learning Stories, with the ability to curate the physical classroom environment to promote learning;
- A deep understanding of how to implement equity and social justice principles into the everyday experience of the children;
- A deep understanding of how to recognize and disrupt oppressive narratives in society and ourselves;
- Routinely meet with teaching team to create meaningful and relevant emergent curriculum;
- Critically analyze child observations and collaborate with teaching team to guide curriculum;
- Performing and analyzing ongoing developmental assessments.
- Maintain regular communication with families, verbally, through our preferred platform, or by email correspondence (individual emails, weekly newsletters, etc.);
- Sharing classroom documentation through newsletters, displays throughout the classroom, and in shared spaces;
- Planning and facilitating bi-annual parent teacher conferences;
- Meeting with parents and administration to find avenues of support for individual children when needed.
Subs positions: $22-$27 hourly
When available, the Head Teacher position is a full-time position with full health benefits, a 401(k) with matching, and a starting salary range currently at $47,000-$60,000 based on a combination of factors.
- A sense of true joy and enthusiasm for teaching and learning;
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Early Childhood Education or related field;
- Fully bilingual in both English and Spanish;
- Strong written and verbal communications skills, as well as proven problem-solving skills;
- Strong organizational and classroom management skills;
- Familiarity with a variety of early childhood educational approaches (Reggio Emilia, Montessori, Waldorf, project-based learning, learning stories etc.) and a willingness to hybridize;
- Knowledge on principles and policies of safety and age-appropriate activities for children;
- The ability to multitask and adhere to timelines;
- Demonstrate a commitment to Mi Casita’s mission.