Teacher Special Education Teacher
About Mott Hall Charter School:
Mott Hall Charter School (MHCS) is a small public middle school whose mission is to prepare our scholars in mind, body, and character to succeed in top high schools, college, and careers by becoming inquisitive, open-minded, and compassionate citizens of the world. We accomplish this through a whole child approach including the International Baccalaureate Program, enhanced counseling and character development, 21st century technology infusion, and our career and college readiness program.
We are a Professional Learning Community, where all teachers are supported by experienced educators, and honored as professionals with leadership pathways to advance their careers. Our education program is grounded in evidence-based research of how students learn best. All teachers receive training in the following six components of Mott Hall’s 21st century approach to teaching:
- Student-Centered methods of instruction
- Effective classroom management approaches
- The latest research in adolescent development and social emotional health
- How to integrate literacy into lessons regardless of content area
- How to use technology to accelerate student learning
- How to use data to inform instruction and improve student outcomes
As the Special Education Coordinator, you will lead all aspects of the School’s approach to serving our Special Needs students. This position works closely with the Executive Team, Social and Emotional Health staff, and faculty to ensure significant student academic progress each year.
Responsibilities and Duties
Special Education Teaching
- Use the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme as the School’s framework for teaching and learning.
- Provide high-quality ICT and SETSS services to assigned grade level.
- Implement the Workshop Model of instruction and use differentiated instructional techniques to meet the interests, intelligences, abilities, and learning styles of adolescents.
- Participate in special education and 504 processes (writing and implementing rigorous, standards-driven IEPs, ensuring services are in compliance with mandates, initial and annual IEP process, and collaborating with our team of related service providers at the school).
- Incorporate explicit reading and writing strategies in daily routines and classroom instruction.
- Employ progressive approaches to scholars’ social/emotional and character development.
- Ensure Behavior Improvement Plans are being executed with fidelity.
- Participate in collaborative planning in content-specific teams and interdisciplinary teams and develop interdisciplinary, project-based units of study throughout the school year.
- Integrate instructional technology into student learning activities.
- Use formative assessment to provide on-going feedback to every student and periodic summative assessment to measure student learning, develop instructional plans to meet student needs, and administer follow-up assessment and analysis.
- Maintain reporting and planning documents including electronic/internet-based formats for curriculum maps, unit plans, lesson plans, grade book, student behavior, and assessment analysis.
- Engage in teacher committees on various issues of school-wide policy and decision-making.
- Lead educational field trips and service learning experiences.
- Participate in extra-curricular enrichment opportunities.
- Attend parental engagement activities including parent/teacher conferences, open houses, and maintain frequent communication with parents through a variety of communication channels.
- New York State certification Grades K-6, 5-9, or 7-12 in Special Education.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS:
- Our beginning compensation is 15% higher than New York City Department of Education with bonuses for performance and longevity increases of 5% after 3, 6, and 9 years and 10% after 14 and 19 years.
- Comprehensive health benefits and retirement plan with employer match of 3% in year 1-5 and 5% in year 6 and beyond.
- Paid parking or metro card
- Signing incentive of $500 to welcome you to the team!
How to ApplyTo apply send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. In the subject line of the email, please add the subject area and your full name.
155 total views, 1 today