Teacher Special Education Teacher (Bilingual), K-3
About LEEP Academy
LEEP Dual Language Academy Charter School is a new and growing elementary school in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. We use the research-based 90:10 model of Spanish language immersion that helps all students achieve in all subjects while also becoming bilingual and bi-literate. In the 2021-22 school year, we will grow to serve students in grades K-3, using instructional techniques from high-performing charter schools and the best dual language programs in the nation.
Our school community is linguistically, racially, and socioeconomically diverse, and we are committed to being a good neighbor in Sunset Park for decades to come. We are located at 54th Street and 5th Avenue, in a private building with a long-term lease.
Teachers: Does this sound like you?
We’re looking for bilingual teachers who can help every student reach academic excellence in Spanish and English. Does this describe you?
- You have native-level fluency in Spanish and English. That means that, in both languages, you can read and write professional documents such as lesson plans; carry on academic conversations with parents and colleagues; and teach academic concepts with native-speaking students.
- You have at least two years of teaching experience, including experience teaching special education. You have at least a Bachelor’s degree and are certified or on the way to certification.
- You have elementary school teaching experience. You know how to plan a lesson, connect with students, make the most of every minute, check for understanding, and turn data into improved teaching and learning.
- You like the idea of teaching in Spanish most of the school day, even if you’ve never done it before. If you have mostly taught Spanish in the past, you feel prepared to teach every subject.
- You’ve worked at a high-performing school where teachers work as a team and receive frequent feedback to improve their practice. Or maybe you’ve tasted that style of teaching in a graduate program and want to obtain a job where you can keep improving.
- You know how to create plans for differentiated learning and adjust systems as appropriate to meet students’ individual needs. You believe that all students can and should be held to high expectations when given the supports/scaffolds necessary.
- You want to join a school community that is safe and orderly while treating every student and family with dignity. You think all children deserve a strong foundation in math and literacy, without overlooking science, the arts, and social-emotional development.
- You like to “nerd out” about teaching and the subjects you teach.
- You work really hard. You stay organized. You hate to be unprepared.
At LEEP Academy, we plan lessons in detail, but not from scratch; we work together from a common set of high-quality curricula in English and Spanish. We collect and analyze formative and summative data. We differentiate instruction and work with families and service providers to meet each child’s needs. We communicate and collaborate. We model our school’s Core Virtues: Cariño, Respeto, Valentía, Gratitud, y Alegría.
Teachers work in the range of 50-55 hours per week. Our core work hours are from 7:15am to 4:30pm daily, including a lunch break and prep period. (Students are dismissed at 3:15, except for Wednesdays when they leave at 1:30pm to allow for professional development.)
Lead teachers co-teach with a full-time associate teacher in kindergarten and share an associate teacher in older grades. General education and special education lead teachers to co-teach in one ICT classroom per grade.
LEEP Dual Language Academy Charter School is committed to a policy of equal treatment for all individuals applying for employment. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national background, religion/belief, marital status, caregiver status, veteran status, disability, age, political party, or salary history.