Teacher Special Education Teacher (Multiple Grades / Roles)
We are seeking passionate Special Education Teachers for:
- 12:1:1 SpEd math/science teacher
- 7th gr Math teacher medical leave replacement
- 8/9th gr ICT math co-teacher
- 8/9th gr ICT math co-teacher
- 10/11th gr ICT math maternity leave replacement
- 7th gr ICT ELA co-teacher
- 11/12th gr ICT ELA co-teacher
Ideally, we are looking for a either special education teachers that are flexible, knowledgeable, and open to teaching in a variety of content areas in a 6-12th gr ICT setting. Candidates should embrace working closely with colleagues, co-planning lessons, being the “expert” in the co-teaching partnerships in terms of what students with IEPs need, depending on their learning struggles, in order to be successful. The candidate should have experience with writing IEPs on SESIS and come with ideas on how to make the IEP a living document that all teachers can use as a resource / tool in their teaching. In some cases the Special Education teacher will teach an enrichment class of their own targeting specific skills in math, reading, or writing.
Strong candidates for any East Side position are capable of:
- Creating dynamic lessons and differentiating for heterogeneous classes
- Developing authentic and backward planned curriculum
- Designing, implementing, and evaluating exhibitions and projects using rubrics.
- Building content knowledge through strong literacy practices
- Utilizing cutting-edge technology in formative and project based assessment
- Developing 21st century skills, such as problem solving, critical thinking, collaboration, technology, and written and oral presentation skills
- Teaching for understanding and depth using constructivist learning, rather than “coverage” of topics.
- Participating in a variety of professional development and reflective practices – such as peer learning groups, observation, curriculum development workshops, conferences, etc.
- Serving as a supportive Advisor to a small group of students.
- Planning with a coach/experienced teacher
- Communicating regularly with parents and students around issues concerning students’ academic development and emotional well-being.
ABOUT EAST SIDE: We are a small 6-12th-grade college preparatory school dedicated to the belief that all students can, must and will learn and succeed academically. We set high standards for each of our students and help them meet these standards by providing personal attention, a strong sense of community, high-quality instruction and engaging and innovative learning experiences inside and outside of the classroom. Students, staff, families and community members see themselves as part of a team whose main goal is the success of every individual student in our diverse learning community. We have a schoolwide commitment to promoting social justice and combating racism, sexism, homophobia, classism and any other form of discrimination. The goal of the school is to create a community of highly skilled students, lifetime learners, critical thinkers and socially responsible citizens who, upon graduation, will be prepared to succeed in college and beyond.
Please visit www.eschs.org to learn more about our school.
Our commitment to socio-emotional learning is highlighted in Learning by Heart: Six American High Schools Where Social and Emotional Learning Are Core by Kathleen Cushman.
We are a small school, which allows teachers to work in grade teams consisting of one teacher in each subject area (Math, History, English, Science, and a Learning Specialist). Each team teaches the same cohort of students and is led by a team leader (a teacher elected from and by the team). As a result of our grade structure, our class size is small—average class size is less than twenty-five students.