Operations Staff Accountant
Do you have a detective streak, a facility with spreadsheets, and a passion for education?
The Urban Assembly (UA) is a non-profit organization providing leadership and programmatic support to unique, small public secondary schools in high-need neighborhoods in NYC. UA schools are open to all students and our goal is to prepare 100% of UA graduates for success in the 21st century economy.
UA is seeking a capable and curious Staff Accountant to join the Finance & Administration team. The Staff Accountant will be in charge of financial data entry and record management. This position will play a key role in financial audits as well as producing reports for stakeholders.
This is an opportunity to join an engaged, collaborative, mission-driven staff and to take part in the vital process of improving the lives of NYC students. This position collaborates with both school and office-based staff, reports to the Finance & Administration Manager, and is based at Urban Assembly’s newly renovated central office in Manhattan’s Financial District. This is a full-time, exempt, salaried position, averaging 35 hours per week, including paid sick and vacation days, paid holidays, and generous health benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
You are a great candidate for this position if…
- You care about high quality execution and getting things done well and done right; you like making your colleagues’ work easier.
- You are comfortable interacting and collaborating with colleagues at all levels.
- You are hungry to learn, to grow, and to give and get feedback as part of an ever-evolving team.
- You enjoy an open-office environment, and you possess a sense of humor.
- You are passionate about leveling the playing field for NYC students who may not otherwise have access to opportunities, relationships, and resources that could give them economic and social mobility.
- Expense Management
- Reconcile vendor statements; research and correct discrepancies
- Record invoices into accounts payable software and/or accounting system
- File invoices, contracts and approvals accurately
- Monitor accounts payable aging to ensure payments are up to date
- Process outbound checks
- Reconcile corporate credit card statements and ensure all corporate credit card charges are appropriately classified by department
- Revenue Management
- Record Accounts Receivable Invoices
- Record and process deposits
- Post financial transactions and general journal entries to appropriate accounts
- Retrieve financial reports to assist other departments
- Perform other tasks as needed
- Strong technical accounting skills (knowledge of US GAAP)
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting (or related) field from an accredited college or university
- Highly organized and motivated self-starter with good interpersonal communication skills
- Detail oriented with analytic and problem-solving skills
- Intermediate Excel skills
What the UA team does every day: The UA staff develops and provides high-quality ongoing coaching and resources to UA school staff in the areas of leadership, academics, college access, career readiness, and social-emotional learning, so that they can, in-turn, support UA students to succeed after high school.
In 2018, the UA is actively serving over 11,000 students. Our 21 NYC schools serve over 8,000 students across three boroughs, and UA staff directly supports 3,000 recent alumni spread across the country as they pursue their postsecondary goals. UA students achieve at rates outpacing NYC overall: 81.5% of UA 2017 high school students graduated on time, compared to NYC’s overall rate of 74.3%. In addition, UA students are predominantly low-income and 94% African American or Latino, so the comparable NYC graduation rates are 70% for Black students and 68.3% for Hispanic students.
Why you want to work here: At the Urban Assembly, you have the opportunity to improve and create every day. We work hard because we care about our colleagues, our schools, and the students. The UA team are remarkably engaged and hungry for information, continually evaluating and monitoring progress and success as we all iterate and innovate alongside our schools and our partners.
The UA is committed to building a diverse team. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
How to ApplyPlease email a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com with “Staff Accountant” in the subject heading. For additional information about the Urban Assembly, please visit www.urbanassembly.org. What to expect: Applicants will receive an email confirming receipt of their materials. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates moving forward in the interview process will be contacted by email regarding a phone screening, followed by emailed questions and then in-person informal team and individual interviews.
405 total views, 3 today