Research and Policy Staff Attorney
The Colorado Association of School Boards was established in 1940 to provide a structure through which school board members could unite in their efforts to promote the interests and welfare of Colorado’s 178 school districts.
CASB represents and advocates for more than 1,000 school board members and superintendents statewide to groups both within and outside the K-12 education community. CASB provides services, information, and training programs to support school board members as they govern their local districts. Membership benefits and solutions are designed to enhance school board effectiveness and help board members increase their knowledge, boost their efficiency, and connect with their communities.
CASB also cultivates relationships with dozens of governing bodies and other education stakeholders—at both the state and national level—to ensure a unified and effective voice and presence on behalf of its members. The association is guided and governed by a 22-member board of directors comprised of school board members representing 12 CASB regions across the state.
The Colorado Association of School Boards through leadership, service, training, and advocacy prepares local boards of education to advance a system of public schools where all students are challenged to meet their full potential.
Advancing excellence in public education through effective leadership by locally elected boards of education.
About the Position
The Staff Attorney will be a contributing member of CASB’s member legal resources team, including:
- Research and develop resources to keep CASB members apprised of current legal issues affecting Colorado school districts;
- Serve as a resource for CASB-member school boards seeking general legal information;
- Provide legal support to CASB’s policy team;
- Develop and deliver presentations that provide general legal information to school board members and other school district personnel at district locations and CASB events.
A qualified candidate will have:
- Juris Doctor degree and be licensed to practice law in Colorado or another state and be willing to seek admission to the Colorado bar;
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years of experience in education or public sector law preferred;
- Experience with policy research and/or development preferred;
- Demonstrated excellent oral and written skills, including public speaking;
- A genuine desire to work with people to improve public education in Colorado.
Salary: CASB will offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
Job Posting Date: July 1, 2019
Application Deadline: July 31, 2019 at 4:00pm
Anticipated start date: To be negotiated
How to ApplyPlease send a resume, cover letter, legal writing sample, and salary requirements to Brittany Crossman at email@example.com. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
523 total views, 15 today